BHG, MS, and ES, the picture starts to clarify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BHG, MS, and ES, the picture starts to clarify

Well its been clear (to me at least) that MS is NOT going to publish TWO history themed RTS's at the same time. There strategy is becoming clearer.

ES has recently announced that the next AOE game will be have a fantasy setting. This leads me to beleive that BHG's game WILL have a HISTORICAL setting.

It makes sense - take AOE's very successful 2D engine into the fantasy realm, where there is a large market, but not (AFAIK) the kind of talent that ES brings to the table. ES's emphasis on fun over historical accuracy is an ASSET there. Brian, wih his pattern of excellent, serious games, is ideally suited to design a deep history game. Shogun, EU, the city builders, etc have already shown that there is no reason not to do this in an RTS. And from MS point of view, the AOE engine has already been milked in the history market, its time for something different.

I suspect that MS will have not one but TWO hits on its hands. One from ES, and one from BHG.

Lord of the Mark
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

lord of the mark,

I believe your probably on the mark.

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Yep right on the dot d'oh

Comment

Nevertheless, BHG's web site isn't too friendly of news, is it?
        "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
        Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
        Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
        Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Lord of The Mark, like Yin26, yo've done it!! You use Tarot Cards to read this?? Can I ask you about some Lotery Numbers?? Where a Wheel of Fortune/Tarot Forum in ACS??
          Signature: Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your posts

Comment

Re: BHG, MS, and ES, the picture starts to clarify

Originally posted by lord of the mark
            ES has recently announced that the next AOE game will be have a fantasy setting. This leads me to beleive that BHG's game WILL have a HISTORICAL setting.
            Was looking through the older posts and just wanted to give lotm credit where credit is due.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

i was going to say you where an idiot for saying ''ES has recently announced that the next AOE game will be have a fantasy setting'' when i checked the date you posted this
              if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

thanks guys

No, no crystal ball for lottery numbers, etc

Maybe i should analyze game company stocks?? Not sure how I could have played this one, though.

LOTM
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What is the new fantasy title?
                  America for RON!

Comment

I plan to buy both games.

And there always was a question of where the next AoE game would be set. Most AoE fans thought the next game would be set during the industrial age (AoE: ancient times; AoE2:Medieval times; AoE3: Revolutionary times).

Looks like MS is covering all the posibilities with a fantasy setting, and a world history setting.

Creating, once again, another monopoly.

Comment

If I get either, I'll get RON. It seems to have enough things to allow me to forgive the RT part of the title.
                      "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                      "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                      "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                      "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Working...
                      X