ensemble, lucasarts, MS and BHG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ensemble, lucasarts, MS and BHG

Recent news that Ensemble Studios will be making a starwars game based on AOE/AOK engine for Lucasarts.

Does this mean that ES is no longer working with Microsoft?

Does this raise the likelihood that BHG's project is a historically themed RTS, following the AOE/AOK franchise for MS (though with a new Reynolds designed engine) ?

Is there any connection between the ES/Lucasarts deal and the MS/BHG deal?
    IE did MS sign with BHG becuase of disputes with ES?

lord of the mark
    "A poem should not mean, but be" - Archibald Macleish
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

dont think it means anything that complicated

firaxis is doing civ3 with hasbro interactive while releasing all of it's previous games with ea. that didnt change their deals with ea...

Comment

Ensemble has simply licensed its engine to LucasArts.

------------------
      St. Leo
      http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

It's a bit more than that, but essentially the "partnership" consists of LucasArts developing the game in-house (unlike the Verant and Bioware Star Wars RPGs) with Ensemble providing the engine, expertise, testing facilities and help with balancing game play. They are meanwhile making a project codenamed "RTS III" for Microsoft, so it can't be a big commitment on their part.

Comment

so we're back to MS doing an RTS with ES, AND one with BHG? 2 RTS's both from houses with Civ roots. What gives?
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

That there's a large market for RTSes? I have a feeling that whatever BHG does will not be a straight AoK Clone, or they will not sell big. I think Brian & co. are above that.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              dont think it means anything that complicated

firaxis is doing civ3 with hasbro interactive while releasing all of it's previous games with ea. that didnt change their deals with ea...
              It would seem that it won't change the deals because Firaxis is fulfilling its deal with EA by making Sim Golf before they release Civ III.

As for BHG and their RTS game, Brian has talked a great deal about a flexible engine that challenges the player strategically. I wished a lot of what he said had been some how used in Civ II and now Civ III. But if I have to have the challenges and adaptablility that he talkes about in a "click fest" I guess it still will be just that, a challenge.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by -- but not Snapcase
                I have a feeling that whatever BHG does will not be a straight AoK Clone, or they will not sell big. I think Brian & co. are above that.
                Oh, and I thought Brian & Co were above RTS. I hope that they will at least bring a revolution to the genre.
                "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
                - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
                X