a number of patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a number of patterns

"We are already deep in development for our first game - but we're not ready to talk about it just yet. Suffice it to say if you look back at my career you'll see a number of patterns emerging. I think you can pretty much imagine those themes are going to come along with me. Getting any more specific than that in your guesswork is probably dangerous!"

From the GameLoft UK interview back in september...

Patterns? Brian has been lead designer on three and a half games, afaik, all of them Civ-style. Is this an indication in that direction?

Didn't Brian also say when he was leaving Firaxis that he did not want to do another TBS game. Instead he was hoping to do some stuff with RTS.

Comment

possible patterns

TBS - but he said that he wanted to do RTS - but that was before he signed with MS, which already has an RTS shop (ES) and no TBS shop.

Historical themes - well except for SMAC of course.

4X

Complexity and depth, including philosophical elements.

So i'd say there are many directions he could go and still follow one of his "patterns"
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The grunting noise you hear is me wanting to tell you all about it!

Brian

Comment

Hey, it speaks!

Perhaps you could tell us when you will start lifting the curtain...

Comment

Hey, Brian! You can trust us with your secrets, we wont tell

Comment

We're projecting release in 2002 (that's as far as I can narrow it down for you right now), which means that the marketing-planning is naturally still at a fairly preliminary stage. But hey, it's getting closer!

Looking forward to it,

Brian

Comment

Taking existing concepts and refining them?

Oh, and a somewhat humorous
                Scenario 1: Blizzard clones Warlords Battlecry! properly, releases it in 2002, and kills Brian's critically-acclaimed sleeper. BHG learns from the experience and releases a hit with their second game. Probability: 5%

Scenario 2: Havas Interactive get WarCraft III released in 2001 to cover its Sierra losses and it bombs. Microsoft's marketing muscle pulls through and BHG's first game places somewhere between Age of Empires II and Urban Assault on the sales charts. Probability: 25%.

Scenario 3: Microsoft's marketing department does a good job of identifying BHG with Ensemble and tricks Jane-Six-Packs into buying a quality game. Probability: 60%.

------------------
                St. Leo
                http://www.sidgames.com/hosted/ziggurat/
                http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Thanks, Brian!

Yes, looking forward to BHG's first game. I just wish that I'd know more about it...
                  [This message has been edited by FinnishGuy (edited January 16, 2001).]

Comment

Wow! I can't wait to find out what it is!
                    -GeoDan

Comment

Why is it that every time I see a game company aligned with Microsoft, I get the sinking feeling that they're going to be turning out coasters for the XBox pretty quick...if it is a strategy game, I hope that BHG isn't going to be forced to cut it down and make it fit in a console...

Say it ain't so, Brian, say it ain't so...
                      [This message has been edited by Bell (edited January 16, 2001).]
                      "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Good point, Bell. I pray MS doesn't go down that road.
                        -GeoDan

Comment

Hmm I remember that when the Microsoft deal was announced, they also stated that at least the first game will be developed for PC.

Comment

Hey, a response!

Not much info, but with the alotted timesphere, we should see something at least by E3 in May, right?

Comment

so brian, while you're here, care to comment on the Civ3 unique civ controversy, or are will you diplomatically avoid comment on Civ3?
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                              X