Firaxis+Microprose=BHG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firaxis+Microprose=BHG

Replying to a newsgroup post, I browsed the Big Huge Games(BHG) site. I wanted to see how many ex-Firaxis people joing BHG. Here's the interesting result:

Brian Reynolds, Jason Coleman, Tim Train, David Inscore, Doug Kaufman and Jason Bestimt went to BHG from Firaxis

Bill Podurgiel, Nathan Wright and Rob Cloutier have a Microprose past.

And only one man in BHG, Paul Stephanouk, does not have anything to do with Firaxis or Microprose!

test

Comment

Well, isn't that something that could have been expected? These people all knew each other and decided to create a new company. Now, what would have been really strange is when they would have all come from different companies

Comment

test complete

Comment

Well, I belive that two great companies are competing for the best strategy games. Firaxis for TBS and BHG for RTS. Good for us, addicts!
          Nevertheless, Microprose alone (well, Bullfrog too...) published the best Strategy games for the first half of the 90's. I'll never forget games like Civilization, Master of Orion, X-COM and Pizza Tycoon (I never played Railroad Tycoon :P)! So I hope that quality games continue to appear like those (above) created by geniuses who worked for microprose!
          "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
          Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
          Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
          Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

IIUC, also all of these firms are in the Baltimore area. (when sid and Brian left MPS they stayed in the area, and when Brian and Tim Train left Firaxis they stayed in the area)

This would partly account for the hiring pattern at BHG. Far easier to hire someone to a new enterprise who already lives in baltime than to hire someone from elsewhere (eg Ensemble Studios in Texas)
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
            X