Now when BR left Firaxis...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now when BR left Firaxis...

...who's going to make SMAC 2,BHG or Firaxis?

I believe Firaxis have rights for SMAC name,but i suppose Brian Raynolds have rights to use engine he made?

------------------
    No i ain't doing much,doing nothing means alot to me (AC/DC)
    My life, my rules

I have a feeling that BHG was created to try something new in the realm of RTS. SMAC2 will go to Firaxis.

Besides, BR will not have rights to the engine (property of firaxis). Of course, he and his team could use the experience they gained... Also, as you suspected, Alpha Centauri is a registered trademark of Firaxis (Reg. No. 2322228--registered February 22, 2000). They learned their lesson with the Civilization name.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I am pretty sure BR is sick of writing Civ games.

------------------
      St. Leo
      http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
      http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by St Leo on 06-29-2000 05:09 PM
        I am pretty sure BR is sick of writing Civ games.
        I think Tim Train have said something like that. Not in this tone of course

Btw, Tim has been into civ games since Civ1

Comment

That may be true.

Similarly, Brian is, I am sure, just sick of posting on forums.

Comment

Alpha Centauri is registered name by Firaxis?!?
            How can someone registrate a star?
            Does Ptolemy sold them a license?

------------------
            My life, my rules

Comment

I think BR is still into Civ games but he left Fraxis because Sid wasn't giving him enough credit. I'm sure we will be seeing lots of Civ type games, and many other types. And he still can use the engine for SMAC.

------------------
              I wanna make video games!

Comment

"Alpha Centauri is registered name by Firaxis?!?"

Yes, as a computer game. If you had Alpha Centauri chewing gum or somesuch, you might be able to register that trademark separate from the computer game.

"And he still can use the engine for SMAC."

I think Firaxis' lawyers might have some opinions on that matter...
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, it doesn't matter anyway. I'm sure BR can make an even better engine to use, and something completely new that would beat SMAC. Afterall, he did make the engine for SMAC.

Besides, like Jesus Egg said in the other forum, He should take his time and make something that will stand out so they can be proud of it. It will take BR, and the rest at BHG, a long time to make a great engine, and a great game to go with it.

------------------
                  [This message has been edited by zichlen (edited June 30, 2000).]

Comment

I think the comment about not getting enough credit is close to the mark. There seemed to be a view back on the old EA Alpha Centauri forums that everything that was good with the game was down to Sid and everything bad down to Brian.

We never saw Sid or anybody from FIRAXIS attempt to correct that.

I think Brian got fed up with copping the flak.

That's why the real Brian never posts on forums now.

Comment

I don't think so. True Civ fans knows all about a game 2 years before publishing. Others don't care. Do you know who wrote an engine for Diablo? Or Half Life?

Credits are bull. They dont feed your family. If i have a choice between hard currency and 'ooooh-look-this-is-the-one-who-blah-blah' i have very little (if any) doubt of my pick.

------------------
                      My life, my rules

Comment

It is fair to observe, though, that the team that made Alpha Centauri seemed to revel in the term "Game Gods".

It might not feed the kids or put gas in the tank, but I bet it gave them a warm glow inside.

Comment

Alpha Centauri is registered name by Firaxis?!?
                          How can someone registrate a star?
                          Does Ptolemy sold them a license?

Ptolemy had nothing to do with the naming of Alpha Centauri - it's name is based on a fairly recent (4-2 centuries old) system in which the stars in constellations (e.g. Centarus) get greek letter designations (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Epsilon... (Alpha Centauri C/Proxima Centauri was discovered after this method went out of style)) based on their brightness to an observer in the Sol system.

P.S. I do not own a telescope, nor have I ever looked through one.

------------------
                          St. Leo
                          http://ziggurat.sidgames.com/
                          http://www.sidgames.com/forums/
                          Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

When someone moves from one company to another, you really can't guess at their motives. There are probably too many to count, and perhaps none of them, by themselves, amounts to much. It's just a totality of little things combined with a desire to go on to something new and exciting.

Oh, and as far as being able to take their code with them... There's no better way to learn someone else's code than to re-write it, and writing your own code a second time makes it ten times as good as before.

Nonsanity

Comment

Yes, he probably had many motives to leave fraxis, but the main one is that he was not getting enough credit. I am a friend of a friend and I get the info.
                              The credit my not feed his family, but it made him mad that he wasn't getting enough. Besides, BHG, i'm sure, will make plenty of money.

Anyway, it is none of our buisness to discuss what people think is in his mind.

I have now given you the facts, and hope you use them wisely.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X