New Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Design

Hello, I did not notice BHG (before I saw the news item in the news menu), but they seem like an interesting company. The new design looks great, it seems a pity I missed the last one. What did that design look like?

I really liked the Industry Job Tips in the Jobs section. Fun to see such a good run-through of how game design work. Scary, too. Isn't it awful that the ones with the freshest ideas, the young people, always have to work in utter subservitude for decades before they get into the position to make their own game, and by then they have lost the creative spark? This is probably the main reason the game industry is slowly dying.
    -Ken Bregott
    Jack-of-all-trades, or if not all, then at least quite a few.

quote:

Originally posted by Ken Bregott on 06-08-2000 01:50 PM
    Isn't it awful that the ones with the freshest ideas, the young people, always have to work in utter subservitude for decades before they get into the position to make their own game, and by then they have lost the creative spark? This is probably the main reason the game industry is slowly dying.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you aren't looking at the whole picture.

The game industry isn't dying, it's growing, it's just not growing in the same direction it came from.

Developing a game (or even a mod) is not easy, in time, effort, or resources.

Many, many "young people" have an idea, and never finish it.

It's a lot harder to do something new and different then your statement makes it seem.

Game development is, in general, an unstructured industry. People create their own careers, there's no system to move you from entry-level to designer. If you're good, if you're driven, you advance.

"...Work in utter subservitude for decades..." is extreme.

Enthusiasm and experience are not substitutes for each other.

If some businessperson is going to give you over a million dollars, they want to have some reason other than your promise that they'll make their money back.

There's a lot of bad games out there, some created by people with experience, some created by people with no experiece.

Comment

Working...
    X