X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian talks(on gamecenter)

Yep. i forget who suggested it, but it sounds like a lovers spat to me. lol
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

BR says that he doesn't know anything about the progress of civ3? I thought he was the lead designer. That is scary!! Now I'm getting worried about ever seeing civ3 on the shelves.

------------------
    No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Having left firaxis, Brian officially "knows nothing" about civ3. It's all proprietary info, and he is supposed not to discuss it or even use it in any new work. He was being polite, saying that he knew nothing to forestall a discussion of what he actually does know.

Firaxis can sue him if he really discusses the state of civ3.

- toby

------------------
      toby robison
      criticalpaths@mindspring.com
      toby robison
      criticalpaths@mindspring.com

Comment

If I understand (english is not my first language), he is saying that he don't care anymore, nor bother (or has the permission to) speak about the CIV III project and timing.

Oh dear, things are worst that it appears!

------------------
        Adm.Naismith AKA mcostant
        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Adm. Naismith -- not necessarily worse than they appear. They appeared pretty bad before this interview!

I'm getting the vibe this was a falling out over Civ 3. Enquiring minds want to know. Maybe information will leak in the coming days...

On the bright side, Tim Train sounds pretty coherent and intelligent in his interview at Civilopedia III. For what it's worth. I have know idea what he's done before, but I believe he is now the lead designer? Jeez, who knows what's going on over there?

Comment

Tim Train was Producer/Designer for SMAC and SMAC-X and now Producer for Civ3. He was also in the civ2 team as an artist(I think)
            I suppose Sid has the Lead Designer title for Civ3....
            [This message has been edited by MarkG (edited February 09, 2000).]

Comment

I just read the interview with Tim Train. It looks like civ3 will be really cool. I am breathing a sigh of relief!

------------------
              No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
              'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
              G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Can someone please supple the URL for this Tim Train interview?

Bkeela
                Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Brian talks(on gamecenter)

http://www.gamecenter.com/News/Item/0,3,0-3732,00.html

quote:

The game industry was rocked yesterday by the announcement that star game designer Brian Reynolds, a long-time protégé of Sid Meier, had departed from Firaxis Games, a company he cofounded with Meier and Jeff Briggs in 1996.

Reynolds was the lead programmer/designer for such innovative classics as Colonization, Civilization II, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. His departure calls into question the status of Civilization III, the highly anticipated follow-up for the popular Civilization strategy series. Gamecenter managed to contact Reynolds at his home today.

Gamecenter: There is a lot of speculation as to why you left so abruptly. Was the departure amicable?

Brian Reynolds: I don't want to discuss why I left. Things happened between Sid [Meier] and Jeff [Briggs] that I don't think need to be discussed.

GC: Were you sick of doing 4X strategy games such as Alpha Centauri or Civ III? Or was it that you wanted to get out from under the Sid Meier name?

B.R.: [Laughs] I'm not going to get into that. But I'm not sick of strategy games.

GC: What is the status of Civ III after your departure? Is it on the right track, or was your departure related to that game?

B.R.: I really wouldn't know anything about Civ III right now.

GC: Oh. That doesn't sound good.

B.R.: I really can't talk about it.

Reynolds was both friendly and evasive throughout the interview. He stated that he intended to found another game studio, perhaps with partners, and that he'd like to work on a strategy game. He said he was not lured away by another studio.

Kelley Gilmore, communications manager at Firaxis, declined to comment on Reynolds' plans. Gilmore did say that his leaving should have no adverse effect on the development of Civilization III, which Reynolds was heading up. "We have a team in place, and Sid Meier will continue to direct development just as he has been doing all along." Firaxis had known about Reynolds' intention to leave since December.

Comment

It could be that Civ3 is still in such an early stage that no intelligible comment on definable progress can be made. If they're looking for 3Q/4Q '01 release they may be dithering on major design decisions. If he has been "out of the loop" for a couple months, all the more reason to say he knows nothing.

Comment

check our civ3 section bkeela

Comment

I just read the interview with Tim Train on Civ3, it says that Civ3 is in prototype. And the game may take 2 years to produce. So it's been 3 years almost. How many other games took that long to make?

Comment

Don't mind me--I'm just BUMPing everything into veiw...
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                          X