Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOUGLAS KAUFMAN JOINS BHG! (sounds familiar?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOUGLAS KAUFMAN JOINS BHG! (sounds familiar?)

AWARD-WINNING VETERAN GAME DESIGNER DOUGLAS KAUFMAN JOINS BIG HUGE GAMES
    Hunt Valley, Maryland (March 14, 2000) Award-winning game designer and industry veteran Douglas Kaufman has joined Big Huge Games to help create the next generation of real-time strategy games. A longtime collaborator of Big Huge Games co-founder Brian Reynolds, Kaufman has been in the games industry for over 20 years, and has garnered acclaim
    in virtually every genre of interactive entertainment. A partial list of his credits includes Command, Darklands, Dragonsphere,
    Colonization, and Civilization II®. Most recently, Kaufman was a driving creative force behind Alpha Centauri and Alien Crossfire.

"I'm really excited to have Doug on board with Big Huge Games", said Reynolds. "He and I have a special synergy together that helps create the incredibly addictive quality of our games. He's proven his ability to know what makes a compelling gaming experience, and will play a key role in making sure Big Huge's games will be as fun as they are
    realistic and visually stunning.

Kaufman's career began with the publication of his first game, Ace of Aces with Al Leonardi while he was still in college getting his bachelor's degree in General Dramatics. He then moved to West End
    Games, where he designed several pen-and-paper titles set in the Star Wars universe. Kaufman also worked on games like Arabian Nights, Kings & Things, and the classic role-playing game Paranoia. In 1990, he moved to Microprose® Software. There, he spearheaded the design on several coin-op and adventure titles before joining Reynolds to create
    1993's breakthrough hit Colonization. The duo followed up that success with two more smash titles: Civilization II (1996) and Alpha Centauri(1999).

Headquartered in Hunt Valley, Maryland, Big Huge Games is creating the next generation of real-time strategy games, with a definitive focus on cutting-edge technology and aimed at mass-market sales. Big Huge Games was formed in February of 2000 by Brian Reynolds, Jason Coleman, Tim Train, and David Inscore.

Just saw this on Daily Radar...

I'm almost beginning to feel sorry for FIRAXIS.

Comment

I would be feeling worse for them if they had kept a regular correspondence with Apolyton.

I wonder if they consider the Apolyton community a true representation of the strategy gaming public?

Comment

Does firaxis have anyone left besides sid meier? i bet sid meier is going to leave and come to bhg next. .

perhaps they just didn't like the name firaxis anymore, and they just wanted a really wacky way to change the name. .

it sure would be nice if we had people from firaxis talking to us. . screw the PR bull****, lay it straight with us.
        -connorkimbro
        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

from the firaxis team page, the following (remaining)firaxians worked on civ2

Jeff Briggs - President and CEO
          Sid Meier - Chairman and Director of Creative Development
          Jerome Atherholt, Artist
          Mike Bazzell, Artist
          Mike Ely, Producer/Designer
          Dave Evans, Director of Software Development
          Greg Foertsch, Artist(CivNet actually)
          Chris Pine, Programmer
          Nick Rusko-Berger, Artist

beyond the civ2 guys though, there are other who worked on smac, so they are not unrelated to civ games...

btw, in the team there are listed 22 people(actually it's 23 with Kaufman(the page is not updated yet)). in the civ3 faq it was mentioned that there were 27 people in firaxis...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 03-14-2000 03:06 PM

btw, in the team there are listed 22 people(actually it's 23 with Kaufman(the page is not updated yet)). in the civ3 faq it was mentioned that there were 27 people in firaxis...

the civ3 faq hasn't been updated since Feb. 10th, which is before everyone left, so... they probably do have 22 people.

Comment

Poor Firaxis .

They actually might use some Hasbro people (God forbid) to do Civ3.. We'll have to wait and see.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Firaxis cities revolt! BHG influence suspected. Poor Sid, he should not have allowed bribing to be so cheap.

Comment

Sometimes change can be good for everybody involved. It must be hard to keep working on TBS when you prefer RTS. If you have key members who aren't really excited about a project, that can drag everybody down.

So as far as Civ3 is concerened, it seems like this shake-up might actually benefit the game. And I'm REALLY looking forward to an awesome TBS. Of course, I'm also looking forward to BHG's first RTS.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Xin Yu -
                    - mkl

Comment

Uh-oh... rats are really leaving the, um, ship.

So there's only one programmer left. This will delay even Dinos, no matter how succesfully Firaxis can hire new people.

Bye bye Civ3...
                      Hello CTP2, MOO3 and Galactic Civilizations!

Comment

that's a list of only the people who worked in civ2. there are 13 other people in firaxis and probably even more in the quite propable case that they are not list in the team page...

Comment

OK, my bad. Firaxis's site lists three programmers (Jason Bestimt, Jeff Morris, Chris Pine).

Comment

About these mysterious "other people" not on the team page:
                            quote:

Additionally, this group includes a wide array of talents including musicians, dancers, painters, illustrators, jugglers, fencers -- even the conductor of the Baltimore Mandolin Orchestra

Quote from Firaxis "About Us" page. So no programmers among them, it would seem. More like artistic types.

Doug Kaufman has been removed now from their site, BTW.

Comment

I think they should replace the lead programmer of Civ3 with a Mandolin Player.

Comment

Working...
                              X