X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian Reynolds Interview with DailyRadar

It's all right here.
    [This message has been edited by yin26 (edited March 22, 2000).]
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Good interview.
    I am actually looking forward to seeing what kind of games, BHG will make. If Brian and Co. made a game to rival AoK that would be great. They can do it, if anyone can. I mean, just think what kind of AoK type game a guy like Brian could do!

I actually wanted to post my idea for a game that would be great. How about an empire building game where the player is not the leader of the entire civ but the mayor of one city (or the governor of a province). The game would be interesting because the player would experience the history and changes of the empire but from a different perspective than if he started as the leader. It would be up to the player how to react to the various things that would happen in the empire. If civil war breaks out, which side do you fall on? Do you stay loyal to your emperor and try to win the game by building a really great city? or you do try to mount a rebellion and make yourself emperor? (the game should let you win by vary different ways, you would not have to become emperor to win) As governor of a province, how do your react if the emperor gets killed, or an enemy invades, or a new tech is discovered, or the empires goes through big social upheaval? There are a lot of things that empires go through, that change them, and this game would let you experience it and react to it. There would also be political intrigue and diplomacy (you could make trade with other cities, make secret treaties with foreign nations, but you would have to consider how your emperor would view it) You could rise up the ranks or stay put, it's up to the player. The idea is just to make history!

------------------
    No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
    'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
    G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Diplomat: That's a great idea for a game but I won't buy it because they would blindly make it RTS

Comment

Steve Clark: I am glad that you like my idea! I agree with you that BHG would undoubtly make it RTS and although I am sure they would do an outstanding job, I do prefer TBS over RTS because TBS allows for more strategy. After all, if there is going to be political intrigue, the player needs time to scheme and plot. You can't outmaneuver your political rivals and furiously click tons of units at the same time?!

I guess the real challenge for the guys at BHG is: Can they make an RTS that has the same amount of strategy as a TBS? Can it be done? If it can be done, I know Brian and Co. are the ones that can pull it off and make gaming history! Good luck Brian!

------------------
        No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
        'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
        G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

Don't mind me--I'm just BUMPing everytihng into veiw...
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
          X