Game's First Machinima Announced, Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game's First Machinima Announced, Begun

It is the first Real-Time Strategy (RTS) machinima series, and the first Rise of Nations machinima endeavour. It even blends some 'live-action' footage for good measure.

Age of Nations (AoN) is an animated episodic adventure series created entirely on the personal computer from Apolyton Civilization Site, one of the oldest and premiere online computer strategy gaming fansites on the Internet. AoN is set in the RoN environment, a RTS computer game from developer Big Huge Games and publisher Microsoft Game Studios. Machinima-driven and 'live-action' complemented action, drama, humour and mystery tell tales from love to war.

In addition to announcing AoN itself, ACS is simultaneously releasing its 9-minute pilot "Dawn of Ages" from the series' official website. Its Creator and Producer is Daniel “DanQ” Quick, ACS' Co-Owner/Administrator. The Co-Executive Producers are fellow ACS staff members "DarkCloud" and Gordon “Illuminatus” Smith. Recruited by Quick, Stan “stankarp” Karpinksi is the series' Director and fourth senior team member; in turn, he becomes an ACS staff member. Another ACS staff member, Joe "snoopy369" Matise, is Writing Consultant while Viktor "Gramphos" Griph and Kyle "ixnay" Stadler are strictly voice actors.

These are the chapters in select stories of societies, of civilizations – of nations. They document from the humblest beginnings the grandest uphill struggle of all peoples: to stand the test of time.

The history of the nations featured will follow from the Ancient to the Information Age over the course of three 13-episode seasons, plus the pilot first mentioned above. One nation will be featured prominently, with others in their relation to the prominent one. Each 'regular' season episode's length will vary, but is expected to fall in the 10-20 minute range and will distributed in both AVI and WMV formats each with high and low resolution versions. All episodes will be linked together in one or more ways including primary and secondary story arcs and multi-part installments.

The series is voluntarily rated PG-13 on the Motion Picture Association of America's scale by the AoN team. The series' first regular season episode "Differences of Opinion" is scheduled for release on January 19th, 2006.

--------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by DanQ; February 7, 2006, 00:11.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Hey anyone want to do this for Alpha Centauri? Great plots possible there!
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Originally posted by dacole
      If anybody is interested in co-ordinating one for AC, please get in touch me. We can discuss possibilities of having it organized through and perhaps resourced by ACS.

Comments/questions on AoN?

--------
      Dan; Apolyton CS
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I told you so Dan.

-Co-Executive Producer and Storyline Editor
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminatus
          -Co-Executive Producer and Storyline Editor
          Not anymore...

-------
          Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

I'm definitely going to be checking this out.

Only one thing is unclear for now: it says "Ron's first machinima" and uses RON logos. I am wondering whether this endavour is in any way endorsed by the BHG? If not, is it completely legal? I'm not trying to be a spoilsport, I am just asking in case I try to make one myself

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
              I'm definitely going to be checking this out.

Looking forward to your comments!

Only one thing is unclear for now: it says "Ron's first machinima" and uses RON logos. I am wondering whether this endavour is in any way endorsed by the BHG? If not, is it completely legal? I'm not trying to be a spoilsport, I am just asking in case I try to make one myself
              I did not include the following in my summarized press release or news post, but it is found in the full press release as well as on the series' website. On the latter, see:

The last sentence in this block of text reads:

Permission to use this game's copyrights and trademarks for the purposes of creating and distributing AoN was secured by its development team at Apolyton Civilization Site (ACS) from RoN developer Big Huge Games (BHG) prior to the series' development.
              I would therefore recommend that should you look at creating your own RoN machinima that you write to BHG for your/your group's own permission. This is not to be confused as or necessarily accompanied by endorsement, however: just permission. If endorsement from BHG does come for Age of Nations or other like projects, it should be treated as a separate matter.

That said, please review the following threads and consider applying to join the AoN team in some capacity.

If you cannot find your interest(s) addressed in one or more of the above threads, please email me directly with details.

-------
              Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

This is awesome. Thumbs up
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

I told you so Dan.

Hmm so he tried to get you to do one for AC first did he heh..

You want to head one up Illumin or Jam? As a science grad student I don't have the time..or the talent..(though some of our good story writers from the ac forms would..vel would be great for this...) Oh and what is ED&D Jam....European Dugeon and Dragons online...? (If so think I'll be playing that one..)
                  A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                    This is awesome. Thumbs up

Thank you for the kind words.

I told you so Dan.

Well... simultaneously anyway.

You want to head one up Illumin or Jam? As a science grad student I don't have the time..or the talent..(though some of our good story writers from the ac forms would..vel would be great for this...)
                    If you guys discuss this via email or PM, please include me in all copies of the conversation. I would love to hear what you all have in mind and come up, and hopefully we can come to terms to have it resourced by (at least hosted on) Apolyton. If you have some objection to this notion, please email or PM me about it and I would be glad to work with you to address it.

You will definitely need writers, producers and someone to co-ordinate the effort. I look forward to hearing about your ideas and suggestions, and to expand on the above would be glad to offer any advice/assistance that I can if you so wish. This includes but is not limited to perhaps voice acting...

Back to AoN itself now. Any other comments (dacole or otherwise)?

---------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Actually, I correctly predicted that one of the first reactions will be "we must get a SMAC one".

You want to head one up Illumin or Jam? As a science grad student I don't have the time..or the talent..(though some of our good story writers from the ac forms would..vel would be great for this...)
                      I'll see if there is some more interest...

Oh and what is ED&D Jam....European Dugeon and Dragons online...? (If so think I'll be playing that one..)
                      Eventis Dungeon and Dragons.
                      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminatus
                        Actually, I correctly predicted that one of the first reactions will be "we must get a SMAC one".
                        Well, since you brought it up... there goes another Executive Producer...

---------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Working...
                        X