is it us.... or the settings???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it us.... or the settings???

my brother and i have been playing RON T&P for quite a while now. before this, we primarily played civ2 multiplayer and solo 'OCC' style, with a brief foray into AOE, total annihilation, and a few other RTS games.

RON seems ridiculously easy against the AI on 'moderate' difficulty, and almost unbelievably hard on 'tough.' on moderate level, we would play deathmatch, 200 pop limit, himalayas, 2 AI (sometimes we force them to be spain) teamed vs the 2 of us teamed (greek or american or one of each). with these settings it is a total rout, no contest. switching the AI to 'tough,' we have never won with those settings and in fact only win about 50% of the time when we play against only ONE AI.

when we do win, it usually goes something like this :

we start off quickly researching civics and military, going to age II, and building a half dozen or so barracks and stables and a few seige factories. age research is a priority, as is building a few new cities (although neither of us are maxed out on cities by age V or VI) and researching all the production techs at the granary, lumbermill, and smelter. sometime around age III or IV the AI tends to launch repeated attacks against my civ. my brother is usually attacked less (not sure why, but his score is usually higher by this point). while he builds up an attack force i try my best to repel the AI without suffering too much damage to my economy. when we make the jump to the industrial age, he usually launches a major attack. if this attack is successful (draws the AI off of my civ and takes a few cities) it gives me time to build up a comparable force (usually into the modern age) and we launch second, third, fourth waves etc.

when we lose, the AIs initial attacks wound me too gravely to maintain a strong economy, my civ is almost fully destroyed, and/or my brother's main attack is easily repelled by superior troops or superior numbers.

so, to make a long question short : do we just suck, or is there something unusual about this game or our settings? thanks in advance.

try playing online (on gamespy)

Comment

Re: is it us.... or the settings???

Originally posted by schwett
      when we lose, the AIs initial attacks wound me too gravely to maintain a strong economy, my civ is almost fully destroyed, and/or my brother's main attack is easily repelled by superior troops or superior numbers.

so, to make a long question short : do we just suck, or is there something unusual about this game or our settings? thanks in advance.
      Are you guys playing against random AI civs? It sounds to me, from the information you posted, that when you guys are faced w/ a civ that is predispositioned to RUSH, you have problems. You probably should then work on defending against the RUSH, thus allowing yourself time to strengthen your economy.

What nationalities do ya'll tend to play?
      "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
      I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
      --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Working...
      X