Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoN vs Empire Earth II

Empire Earth II review

It seems like Empire Earth II plays on similar fields to Rise of Nations, but I am very concious that RoN was done with Civ-fans and developers at the head of Big Huge Games.

So, anyone played both and can compare? Any first impressions of Empire Earth II, including its depth and capacity to "real-timing" some kind of history model? It really looks nice anyway... and I'm curious to get some RoN players opinions
    Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

I just bought Empire Earth 2 about a week ago... and to be honest, i wish i hadn't. It is a great game and everything, but it is still just more of the same. But there are 4 big things that do make Empire Earth 2 stand out.

#1 the war plans creator... but thats only useful in MP, bcasue the computer allies never listen.

#2 the map is broken up into territories which you have to build (at least)a city center to capture the territory.

#3 infantry can capture buildings. thats just cool

#4 bridges! thats all that needs to be said about that!

but graphically.. it doesnt compare to RON (but it just may be that my computer isnt to fast and i have to run graphics on medium)

Some units in Empire Earth 2 dont make sense either.... the HERC's (the walking tanks that come about in the VERY late game) are the same size as infantry. Also all nations have the same generic unit art... which becomes very noticeable when your fighting a battle with a nation thats similar in color and you cant tell your troops from theirs.

BUt EE2 is still a very good and fun game but i prefer RON (cant wait till ROL!)
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Visit the stories forum My stories.... The Rise of Germany and Fall of the Dutch and Germany Falling

Comment

No kidding. RoN was and still is my #1 historic RTS. RofL will probably be my favorite also. BHG managed to grab hold of the classic Age of Empires formula for strategy gaming and expound on it to encompass all of history so well, and streamlining the gameplay at the same time.

Comment

The only real advantage I see of EE 2 over RoN is the labor manger. Nice feature.
        Jim Cobb

Comment

I play RoN Gold, do not own EE2. But, everything I've read by fans indicates that RoN is the preferred game.
          "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
          I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
          --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

EE2 is crap. The game isn't even that strategically deep. RoN is a better game by a mile.

The EE2 team thought they could throw a few gimmicks and a fully 3d engine into a game design similar to RoNs (with slight modifications) and win. They failed.

Comment

Downloaded EE2 demo, played it couple hours. I like RON much, much better. Real-timing history is something nobody has done well yet.

Comment

I know this is off topic... but i just got the demo for Age of Empires III.... that game is awesome! They took their classic game, and expanded it.. making some very nice features.... Can't wait for Christmas, cause my parents (or girlfriend) will probably buy it for me!
                I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Visit the stories forum My stories.... The Rise of Germany and Fall of the Dutch and Germany Falling

Comment

Working...
                X