Is the X-pack worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the X-pack worth getting?

I have RoN, but I don't know much about this X-pack (or the name of it for that matter). I've looked at some stores, but haven't seen it. What is this expansion pack, and is it worth buying?

thanks
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Depends. If you liked the Conquer the World campaign game, you'll like the x-pack. The major feature of the expansion is the additional CTW scenarios: Alexander the Great, The Cold War, Napoleonic Europe and colonial America. Each has unique vicotry conditions and rules (the Cold war game has the option to run spy missions as well as making conventional or nuclear attacks. Fun

Some balancing was done with the orignial civs, plus there are four new civs with new powers. Governments have been added, allong with a new building, The Senate, which allows you to research govts. Each govt gives you a specific bonus and a "Patriot" (basically an uber General with powers dependant on your govt).

I'm enjoying the scenarios immensely, but I found that the CTW campaign was the best part of the original. So I would likely have been happy with an x-pack that just had a pile of scenarios.

Oh, and the expansion is called "Thrones and Patriots".
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

okay thanks

I just read a review on Gamespot... it appears this is quite good.

I would appreciate comments from others that own the game. I prefer to play Quick start matches against the AI. Sometimes I play multiplayer on LAN with some friends, but for the most part I play against AI.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I've only been able to play once because I was busy doing family stuff.

I was Americans vs the other 5 new civs. I tried to use as many of the new features as possible. I think my favorite was switching governments to "corporation" (I think that is what is was), to get the free oil benefits. I needed that to quickly upgrade to tanks for my current battle.

I also let the computer play it self while I was busy with the kids. (Just wanted to see what everything looked like.)

On the technical side, I have no problems. Excellent frame rates.

I can't wait to play it again. I wish I had more data for you.

Comment

I enjoy modding this game and will try, once I return from building a church next week in Honduras for my Lord, to purchase the x-pansion pack

I enjoy longer games with big old battles...versus the rush and swamp routine one is spoon fed all too often

Thats what Modding is all about

I'll let ya know when i get it but from outset looks pretty neat!

Of course being an older type dude, my tastes often vary from average SCHMO!

Peace

Grandpa "Getting-on-up-in-age" Troll
          Attached Files
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I've bought T&P but I'm not *quite* done playing C3C (though approaching the inevitable burnout). However, my friend Mark is having a blast with the new campaigns. He's a big Napoleonics fan (designer of THE NAPOLEONIC WARS, etc.) and he's as happy as a pig in--um--mud about the Napoleon campaign. Lots of little touches that take it beyond generic. For example, invading Corsica you face guerillas who "snipe" your units until you generate units to spot and destroy them. Napoleon was wounded and knocked out for the rest of the battle. Another feature that I'm sure I will like (compared to CTW) is that you get to *stay* in one era for a whole series of games, rather than the 3-per-era of CTW. [Mind you, that has its place too!] Anyway, I'll be along to play in due course...
            "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

Originally posted by Hermann the Lombard
              Another feature that I'm sure I will like (compared to CTW) is that you get to *stay* in one era for a whole series of games, rather than the 3-per-era of CTW. [Mind you, that has its place too!] Anyway, I'll be along to play in due course...
              Now see..this is something that appeals to me..as in Call To Power where you can pick and age and battle there

Makes this games stock go up a notch fer me already!!

Diversity is what appeals to me in a game

Pricelss I tell you when one gets many bangs fer da buck!!
              Attached Files

Comment

How is the Cold War Scenario? I'm a little leery of that because BHG pretty much came out and said that they were rushing that one...

Does it play well? What nations are involved?
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

It dissapointed me because it added no new units.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                    I prefer to play Quick start matches against the AI.
                    In that case the demo will probably be helpful in deciding if it's worth getting: one of the new civs and all other new Quick Battle features are displayed in it (plus a portion of the Alexander CtW campaign).

I hope you're on a fast connection though, since it's a 244 MB download: http://www.microsoft.com/games/thron.../downloads.asp
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                      How is the Cold War Scenario? I'm a little leery of that because BHG pretty much came out and said that they were rushing that one...

Does it play well? What nations are involved?
                      I like the scenario. You can play as either the Soviets (who also control the Warsaw pact countries) or the US (who also control the NATO countries), the rest of the world starts out non-aligned. You can gain control of territory via conquest or via diplomacy (bribing nations to become your client states).

Some of the events are pre-scripted, but most of the game is open ended. The feature I really like about this Scenario are the spy missions. Each costs 20 tribute to attempt and can gain you some nice bonuses if you are successful. I'm still having problems with the spy missions, but that's due to my lack of skill rather than poor design. It's very imprtant to remember that when the mission briefing says to destroy the refinery, you actually destroy the refinery NOT the smelter.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

The demo was a complete disappointment for me because the AI was broken compared to the original game in the quick battle portion. Having said that, I'm buying the expansion anyway for the campaign games.

Comment

Well..Just got home from picking it up..

Ill install and play a little tonight and tommorrow night.

I am headed to Choluteca Honduras in less than a week so will have limited time...BUT will give an answer soon..PRELIMINARY as I prefer not to judge a game on first few tries..like buying a new suit or new shoes..or even a new hat takes a little getting used to!
                          Attached Files

Comment

.....Initial "KNEE-JERK" reaction is ok

I think its has potential and although been a long day enjoyed an hour or so playing so far!

Stay tuned..

Same Bat Channel

Same Bat Station
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X