Quick Conquer The World question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Conquer The World question

Is there any way, any way at all, to increase the number of turns it takes to advance the age in the CTW game?

I feel the game progresses far too quickly to have any sort of overarching strategy... as it stands, you have to go out and attack as quickly as possible, every turn...
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Yes!

First, make sure you've upgraded to Patch 3. Then, go to the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\conquest\CTW_World_Map_01.xml, copy the file as a backup, then open the original with Notepad or Wordpad. Very close to the top you'll find the following parameter in the Root:

turns_per_age="3"

Change 3 to how many turns you want per age. The first, Ancient Age will still last only one turn. I think the following element controls the length of the Ancient Age -

starting_round="2"

but I don't know what the values might mean. As long as I had made a backup of the original, I wouldn't be afraid to play with different settings.
    Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

Bless your heart. Thank you so much!

Comment

Out of curiosity, has anyone made mods to the CTW scenario?

Comment

Yes, that too. 1500s Europe is available for download from RoN Heaven, but that mod was created before the release of Patch 3 and I'm not sure how well it will work now.

Looking through the forums here and elsewhere, people have at least hinted at CtW mods in progress or at least plans for such. Back in December BHG programmer Ike Ellis offered how to edit a couple .xml and .png files to set up CtW to begin in the Enlightenment Age and end in the Industrial Age (the instructions are applicable to a range of modifications). BHG intended much of the game to be accessible to modders - witness the extensive use of easily-edited .xml files.

BHG announced the Thrones & Patriots expansion expected later this year will come with some historical campaigns.
          Rohag's RoN & Etc. Pages

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info; just started a 5 turn/age game, liking it a lot. And you were right; starting round sets how many turns the ancient age lasts... changed it to 3.

Comment

[snip]

Never mind I answered my own question after I posted this...
              Last edited by mi3ker; March 31, 2004, 04:25.

Comment

Patch 3? Is it the patch that fixes the CTW crashes?
                Geniuses are ordinary people bestowed with the gift to see beyond common everyday perceptions.

Comment

Working...
                X