Installation Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation Error

I get the following error trying to install RoN on one of my machines with 20GB free space:

Disk error writing C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Rise of Nations\terrain art\tilesets\snowy\S_snow_browngrass.tga. Make sure your hard disk is not full, and that the file is not in use.

Sometimes this occurs around 2% complete, on one of the DLLs in the root folder, or "S_browngrass_snow.tga", but after hitting retry I can get it to "S_snow_browngrass.tga" at 98% complete. It won't ever get beyond this file though.

I've tried a clean boot, no applications running, stopping most my services, disabling virus scan, updating drivers, etc. The usual tricks. No luck.

I've also verified the installation works correctly on other machines.

Here are my stats:

MSXML 4 SP2
    DX 9.0b
    Intel 1ghz
    GeForce2
    40GB disk
    750MB RAM
    Windows Server 2003 (hopefully this isn't asking too much..)

Let me know if you need more system info or a screenshot.

Thanks for your help!
    Kris
    Why does this sentence follow everything I say?

Do you have Access, Write, Read and Create permission for ' C:\Program Files'?

Comment

Yes, full R/W priviliges. Also, Indexing Servive is stopped. As far as I can determine the file isn't in use by any program or service. The files that appeared locked earlier in the installation can be overwritten fine after it gets past them.

Another thing I noticed is that the first time the message comes up, the file size is 1039KB, but everytime I hit retry it grows by about 180KB, until it hits something like 2039KB. After that point it doesn't change anymore.

Comment

Maybe try with an admin account first. And move down the security clearance from there (reinstall with other account).

Have you try to install it on other OS (XP, 9x)? Just in case its the CD.

Any disk-compression program or ultra-agressive anti-virus program?

Honestly never encounter or even hear about this so not sure if I can help.

Comment

You might want to try scanning your HD to see if there might be some bad sectors causing trouble.
          www.bighugegames.com

Comment

Looks like it was a problem with the CD. I tried it with another CD and the installation was 10X faster and didn't choke on any files. Strange because the first CD worked fine on other computers..

I appreciate your help, and kudos for making a game as close to perfect as I've seen yet.
            Last edited by Chareus; August 11, 2003, 15:13.

Comment

Working...
            X