• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• game freezes the whole computer

AMD 2100+
    1gig pc-333 mem
    GF 42008x 128m
    asus a7n8x-deluxe mobo

when i go in bios and force it at 100mhz bus (1500mhz) it doesn't freeze.

but at normal 2100+ settings (133mhz bus with dual channel memory) it freezes every single time between 5 minutes and 30 minutes into the game.

what gives.

i have latest patch #2

Is your system otherwise unstable? I have the A7N8X del. too (with a 2700+) and when I crank the outside freq to 166(iirc) the computer goes into a nosedive (less so with 133).

Flash it? Sorry, no other clue
    cIV list: cheats
    Now watch this drive!

Comment

I have an AMD 2100+, GF TI4200-128, Epox 8K3A+, 2 x 256 MB PC2700 (333 MHz), WinXP Prof., no overclocking and the same problem - the game freezes after 10 minutes.

2 new 80mm-fans for my chassis and the game freezes between 45 minutes and 60 minutes. It seems to be a temperature-problem.

Comment

First thing I thought was "temperature!". ASUS probe showed an increase, but nothing into an unacceptable range.
        Now watch this drive!

Comment

Yes it's a temperature problem.
          I had the same problem as you for two month but now I have cleaned the 4 fans which were full of dust and I am now able to play RON without problems (was before playing for max 5 minutes before the Pc went in freezes)

bye

Comment

I have virtually the same set up

AMD 2100+
            500 mb pc-333 mem
            asus a7n8x-deluxe mobo
            ATI 9000 video card with 256 meg.

However, I have a wireless keyboard and mouse.

After installing the patch, I began to freeze after 5-15 minutes.

What solved my problem was switching out of the wireless mouse to a standard wired one. With the older mouse I almost never freeze.

Are you running with wireless or optical mice?
            mjg

Comment

What brand of wireless mouse? I have a logitech optical/cordless, and no problems. It seems that I'm the only one, though
              Now watch this drive!

Comment

Re: game freezes the whole computer

Originally posted by Savathar
                AMD 2100+
                1gig pc-333 mem
                GF 42008x 128m
                asus a7n8x-deluxe mobo

when i go in bios and force it at 100mhz bus (1500mhz) it doesn't freeze.

but at normal 2100+ settings (133mhz bus with dual channel memory) it freezes every single time between 5 minutes and 30 minutes into the game.

what gives.

i have latest patch #2
                I have the same enviroment and the same problem. I'm sure the temperature of the graphics card is causing the trouble. Good idea to lower the bus speed, didn't think of this. thanx

there are 2 things you can do: stay with 100 mhz or switch to another graphics card. (I prefer the 100 mhz)

Comment

Mouse Brand

I am using a microsoft mouse and keyboard. Interesting that you have no problems with Logitech.

Regarding temperatures, I keep the computer open to increase air circulation, but that did not prevent the game from freezing with the optical mouse.

But for me, the combination was the patch plus the optical mouse. Without the patch, the game played with the optical mouse.
                  mjg

Comment

but RON is the only game that this happens to. hopefully patch # 3 will fix the freezes

Comment

I may be shooting way off here....

1. Speed/freq compatibility

* Your CPU was @ 133mhz
                      * RAM @ 333mhz --> 2 x 166mhz
                      * What's your FSB (front side bus) speed?
                      Should be the same as RAM (166mhz) unless you modify RAM's speed manually. But since you said CPU 100mhz was more stable than CPU 133mhz, your FSB might be 100mhz.
                      * I assume your AGP/PCI runs the same speed as the FSB. You didn't set it to 2/3 FSB or such did you?

Ideally you should have uniform speed which you didn't from your information.

CPU 133mhz, and FSB/RAM/AGP+PCI 166mhz.
                      -or-
                      CPU/FSB/AGP+PCI 133mhz, RAM 166mhz (using RAM SPD info)
                      -or-
                      CPU 133mhz, FSB/AGP+PCI 100mhz, RAM 166mhz

Should be: CPU/FSB/RAM/AGP+PCI all 133mhz.

2. Your CPU and/or Graphic card are not overclocked are they? Did you buy the computer from big name brand or mom-and-pop retailer. I found that some store cheats. They overclocked say 800mhz CPU and sell it as 1000mhz.

3. Did you use 'Turbo' setting in BIOS? Did you alter the RAM setting (e.g. latency settings)?

4. Might be another DirectX9.0a issue. They changed a lot architecture since Direct9.0. Having latest drivers is not always good, unfortunately. DX9.0a and DX9.0b are worse than DX9, IMO.

Comment

I wanted to thank whoever started this post. I was having the same problem you were having with the amd athlon xp 2100. I ended up puting a new fan on my cpu(really big one) to keep it cool. The game now runs perfectly fine. Thanks again. I hope they fix the problem with the third patch.

Comment

Working...
                        X