How is this game different from AoE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is this game different from AoE?

Hello all. I rented this game today to see if it would run on my computer since I have a PII450 and so far I have no problem. I don't have much time to play right now but I did try it and I do like it.

What I would like to know is what is the difference between RoN and AoE? To me they are the same, but I don't see no turn based turns here that I thought would be. I read somewhere where it is both real time and turn based.

I am thinking of buying this game now since it seems to be running fine on my system, but it seems to much AoE and I am playing that right now.(yeah I know I bought it very late) and don't want to be thinking of playing the same game all over again for a cost of $70.00

Can you guys please tell me the differneces or why I should stop playing AoE and buy this game.

Thanks for your comments

Davor

PS did people make custom maps? is there one of the earth?

You can make peace in this game...

If you have a Big Huge map with 8 players on diplomacy it feels just like a game of Civ2 only the military aspect changes from TB to RT.

Plus CTW...
    "War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left."

Comment

There's quite a bit that is different, but don't be mislead- it is an RTS game.

The singleplayer campaign uses some turn-based elements, but all the core gameplay is somewhat like AoE, but enhanced!

Also, the scope of the game is much broader, ranging from ancient history to today's era.

But if you even remotely like AoE and RTS games, this is a must have.

<-- smiley hatboy agrees!

Comment

Check out this thread for some differences ...

Rohag's site has some interesting RoN vs. EE info, but not sure how it compares with AoE. Here's a good page from Rohag's site with stuff unique to RoN:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

I never played AoE or EE, so I don't know the differences myself, but I'm told by people who do that RoN is really only superficially similar.
        _/\ C
        Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I will wait for the price to come down, since right now it seems to much like AoE to me, and I just bought AoE. I wish I didn't get the game and got this instead but didn't think this game would run on my system but for some reason it is.

davor

Comment

If you don't want to pick up RoN, just wait for AoE III, because I can guarantee a lot of the ideas from RoN will start showing up in just about every RTS from here on out.

Things like territory, attrition, and resource limits are just a few ideas that make RTS much more strategic, and less of a "fastest clicker wins" type game.

I've played AoE II and RoN and there's simply no comparison. AoE is fun for about a week. RoN is fun forever. (so far, anyway)

Comment

I played AoM and AoE and EE extensively before RoN...
              I'm never going back.
              "War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left."

Comment

PII450? How did you manage to get past the medieval age?
                cIV list: cheats
                Now watch this drive!

Comment

Originally posted by MattH
                  PII450? How did you manage to get past the medieval age?
                  I only played for about 10 minutes to get the feel of the game. I didn't have much time more to continue and I had to return the game before I could play again. Do you guys suggest that I need a more powerfull computer to play this game? Will it slow down later in the turns?

I don't want to waste my money on a game that I would not be able to play because of slow down.

Davor

Comment

In the beginning, it'll be fine. Just don't let anyone advance far! By the Ind, Modern, and Info ages, you'll be getting massive slowdown from the units. Try playing that far and seeing what happens.
                    cIV list: cheats
                    Now watch this drive!

Comment

What's this, when your nation gets more advanced your computer doesn't? :banana:
                      Visit First Cultural Industries
                      There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                      Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I guess I will buy the game when I get a new computer then. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

I'd keep an eye out here anyway, because upcoming patches might decrease the slowdown issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X