Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generals - The More the Merrier?

A beginner's question here ...

Having a general in the army's vicinity increases the units' hit points by one.

Is this an accumulative effect? Do multiple generals equate to more devestating armies?

The armor bonus doesn't stack, but there are many reasons why more generals make for a more flexible (and devastating) army. Among them, multiple powers: one general hides the army with Ambush while another force-marches it into position for a surprise attack. [Units stay hidden while moving, but 'appear' when they attack, so put the force on "hold fire" until you're ready to attack. Of course scouts and lookouts (etc) will see you coming.] That combo can be even better when disengaging from a superior enemy (hide and run). Decoys could cover your withdrawal too, or distract the enemy while you outmaneuver them.

I think that entrenchment *does* stack so you can dig in deeper.

Another reason to have multiple generals: snipers can be Such A Nuisance! Ditto spies (*do* keep a scout with your army). Of course there are many other health hazards for generals.

[BTW, there are a bunch of good intro articles out there covering such things, including the ones on the BHG website.]
    "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

I always build at least two generals for any moderate size+ army; for the redundancy in case one gets killed, and for the extra abilities for having multiple generals like Hermann said.

I don't think entrenchment stacks, but rocky terrain does add extra entrenchment bonus to light infantry.

Comment

Also, with big armies, there's a better chance the units are within the General's area of effect if there's more than one. Ditto for Supply Wagons.

Comment

Can I have my special forces inside enemy territory ready to blow up targets prior to the start of a war. Can I send my specfor units in with a general
          What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
          What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Originally posted by Pax Africanus
            Can I have my special forces inside enemy territory ready to blow up targets prior to the start of a war.
            Duhhh -- maybe!

Can I send my specfor units in with a general
            Sure you can. Or make it 2 generals, 1 for forced march, the other for ambush (so he won't see your general with regular units). Of course, the outpost/AA line, along with scouts/spies will still spot your incursion, so do a little reconnaissance ahead.

A specfor operation such as this SHOULD take alot of effort!

(Edit: fix quote nesting)
            Last edited by Jaybe; August 14, 2003, 00:57.

Comment

Spec ops is awesome in this game. You can do some incredible damage with a spec ops team (generals, commandos, and some heavy infantry).

I've used this kind of team to take down key structures. But you are right- it takes some management to do correctly.
              Last edited by Sarxis; August 14, 2003, 00:35.

Comment

can you put a general with a ship somehow and do the same thing
                What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Originally posted by Pax Africanus
                  can you put a general with a ship somehow and do the same thing
                  Troop transports are incredibly weak. If it had any effect (which I doubt), the general's "command ship" would probably not last long.

Wouldn't be difficult to try, just put him near some ships and see if their armor is "+" something.

Comment

Moved to the appropriate place.

The Management.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                      Spec ops is awesome in this game. You can do some incredible damage with a spec ops team (generals, commandos, and some heavy infantry).

I've used this kind of team to take down key structures. But you are right- it takes some management to do correctly.
                      Yes if you have enough you can snipe all the citizens in a city messing up the comps balance of resources, and make the area easy to attack with no garrisoned people.

Comment

Originally posted by WRangler Rhymer

Yes if you have enough you can snipe all the citizens in a city messing up the comps balance of resources, and make the area easy to attack with no garrisoned people.
                        ?? I didn't know you could snipe citizens. If so, that's especially useful against lone builders.

I find it odd (and annoying) that I can't blow up a merchant (no message, no red symbol, it just doesn't accept the order).
                        "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

No, you cannot snipe or bribe citizens or economic targets. He must have just been assuming you can (assuming he wasn't trolling).

Comment

Working...
                          X