RoN is consuming my drive space with .DDS files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoN is consuming my drive space with .DDS files

With every session of RoN that I play, I lose approximately 6MB of drive space. I noticed that the Art and Terrain Art directories are filling up with files that have the extension .DDS. Does anyone know what these are for, and how I can stop it from doing this? At some point I'll completely run out of drive space.

The .dds files are object texture data archive files. They remember how your computer treated each graphic object. I've had the game for a month now and have over 3000 of them. I also noticed that most were generated in the first two weeks of using the game. You can't stop it. As far as getting so many each time, are you using alot of different maps? Perhaps it will slow down once you run thru the whole gamit of map types.
    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and the info. Yes, I've been trying different maps, and I believe I'm noticing that fewer are being created. It's odd to me that you say it can't be disabled. A friend of mine has been playing for a few weeks, and there isn't a .dds file to be found in his RoN directory. Is this possibly something linked to the graphics card in the system? I have a GeForce2 MX400, and he has an ATI Rage 128 Ultra. I'm wondering if the ATI's lower graphics abilities cause Ron not to do some of its texture work. If that is true, I would think I could modify the GPU rating in the rise2.ini file to a level that would turn it off. Any thoughts?

Comment

Mystery solved! The creation of .dds files can be diabled by setting the "Don't Allow Texture Compression" parameter in the rise2.ini file to 1. However, I've noticed that doing so results in a small drop in the frame rate. So, you have to make a choice ... speed or space?

Comment

Working...
        X