Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• :idea: Mongol [border push/boom]...

... Bantu aren't the only boomer's!

This is just an idea, that works well against though/AI. Don't know if it'll do the trick against a well organized human.

It seems that some people tend to overlook the border push/boom qualities of the Mongols. They have a major food bonus regarding teritory (+1 food per 1% teritory). Now I go early for the 2nd and 3th town, building towards my opponent. You don't need to worry too much about farms this way, only wood(metal/knowledge after you hit clasical). Don't forget to develop some economic research to augment the hard needed commerce rate's. Cranck some stables out when developed mil 2, by then I usually can cranck out 4 stables. Yeah baby, a wooping 12 sized army of nomads scorching the earth!
    Start hitting his economy, build a temple at your furthest city and a fortress. Build to the sides, encercling the enemy from then on! That way I totally pushed a Bantu (who was booming himself!!) in a corner of the map!

The downside, is that the raid here is slower compared to a standard Nomad Rush, and it's a strategy that perhaps only works on a 1 v 1/ arena

Are their any other nations that tend to do well as boomers, other then Bantu? I can only think of Mayan's and Korean's. Perhaps Egypt, but they need less cities then others, with their +2 farm bonus! Dunno, ideas?
    Last edited by Ctulu; July 3, 2003, 07:25.
    Pain is of no subsequence to me, for you cannot kill what cannot bleed!

Some thoughts...

My gut reflex tells me the Mongols aren't particularly well suited for booming. The food-for-land bonus is nice, but how much does it really help out early on? I always thought it was more of a later-game bonus. And, let's face it, if you choose to forego the early raiding option, you're really wasting the Mongol's biggest advantage.

Then again, anyone halfway decent facing the Mongols will be playing to counter the early raid by towering up, getting those light horses out, etc. It'd be pretty easy to catch an opponent off guard, esp. if he doesn't scout well, and race past his econ. You can still raid with the free nomads, just a bit later and not quite as effectively, or just keep them as defense against infantry rushes and save resources building up a defense yourself.

The biggest flaw against a human seems to be if your opponent scouts well enough to see you build that 2nd (or 3rd!) city, at which point he will know you aren't doing a standard Mongol rush.

Comment

You can boom with anyone, but I just think the Mongols are more suited to go raid.
      "War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left."

Comment

Working...
      X