Replay oddities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replay oddities

I had a very sastisfying game the other day, and I had to watch the replay. At first everything seemed like every normal replay I've watched so far. However, once I got to the part where I unleashed my airforce, things got strange. Instead of showing fighters on strafing and scout missions, it displayed random ground units. Even more strange was the fact that my bombers were also replaced at times by merchants!

The end result was the same, but a nonparticipant watching this replay would think my tactics were entirely different from what they actually were. For example, when I moved in to take my first city from the computer, I actually bombed it until it was reduced, then swiftly brought in ground forces, no fuss, no muss. However, in the replay, after a couple of kamikaze merchants took the city to about 75% hp, and then the ground forces move in.

Anyone else experienced this? It's hysterical to watch, but it does kind of put a crimp in my debriefing.
    You tried and you failed. The lesson is, never try.

you're saying the computer creates some kind of crazy revisionist history for replays? That's really weird. I wonder if the computer just re-computes the background calculations with new random numbers . . . ie, not really replaying a movie of the game, but actually "re-PLAYING" it - same commands, different combact resolutions.
    You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_Jay you're saying the computer creates some kind of crazy revisionist history for replays?
      In a nutshell, yes. Although it should be noted that I have never seen this happen before, and I always watch the replay.

I wonder if the computer just re-computes the background calculations with new random numbers . . . ie, not really replaying a movie of the game, but actually "re-PLAYING" it - same commands, different combact resolutions.
      I have read a post somewhere that indicated that might be the case. At least as far as re-playing the commands - the resolution was the same though, even when merchants were on bombing runs. I should be finishing off a game this evening, so I'll see if it happens again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar5000 Sounds like a recording error to me.
        Sounds reasonable enough to me. I did finish nother game last night, and the replay seemed accurate to me this time. So I will just assume that this is a quirk rather than a bug. It definitely isn't major enough to keep me from playing - After all, the need for sleep doesn't!

Comment

Working...
        X