Unit Limits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unit Limits

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I couldn't find it in a search.

I was playing a game against an "easy" AI the other day, and we were both trying to build a Wonder. I got a headstart, building with (roughly) 12 citizens. I was ahead of him in research and had upgraded my construction speed from the lumber mill to the max available at the time. The AI started building with just 5 (or maybe 6) citizens and started to catch up with me! I started pumping citizens towards the site and by the time I had finished, had about 25-30 citizens working on it. Despite the fact that I had a decent headstart and more citizens, he was nearly finished when I completed the wonder. How is this possible?

Is there a limit to the benefit received by adding more citizens to a building's construction? Does the building speed increase lessen with each citizen added, or does it just stop after a set number of citizens?

Also, regarding unit limits, does anyone know the limits for the benefit of garrisoning archer units in a tower/fortress? I'm assuming that after a certain # of units, the offensive abilities of the buildings hit a peak and adding more units is pointless. I'm just wondering what the limits are, and if it increases as the tower/fortress is upgraded.

The AI was probably playing as Mayan, they build 50% faster then any1 else in the game

I don't think you asume right on the unit/tower/attack thing, and it increases with upgrades I believe
    Pain is of no subsequence to me, for you cannot kill what cannot bleed!

Comment

So I can keep dumping units into the towers and their ROF and/or damage will keep increasing?

Hmm, methinks a new strategy is in order.

Comment

test it on single player, 1 v 1 where you control both nations, perhaps I'm wrong!

Comment

No, towers and forts have something called garrison strength. It is one of their stats. There was a thread about this somewhere... once garrison power is the max number, adding more dudes is pointless. I think archers/machine guns add 2 while light/heavy inf adds 1. I don't think cav adds anything.

Comment

Guess I'll have to do some testing. I'll post the results.

Comment

Also some ruins let you construct faster. You can really hose people as Maya, don't start building a Wonder until someone else does and unless they are smart and cancel they will lose all the resources when you beat them.

Comment

Can you cancel it right up to the last minute and still get your resources back?

I've been burned a few times by the AI and I only just realized a few days ago that you could cancel items that were in mid-build.

Comment

normally you can cancel it just to he last second, it's instant, unlike razing
                  Last edited by Ctulu; June 27, 2003, 07:50.

Comment

Actually, i believe you only recieve less resources than you used to create the structure. I could be wrong, however. I'll have to try it out.

Comment

I think less resources too

Comment

Archers will cost one Garrison Point and they push the attack value of the building by one. Three heavy infantry are needed (and they cost three Garrison Point's of course) to do the same. Four citizen push the Attack Value by one. Don't know about Tanks etc.

note: the numbers refer to the "units" not to the three guys inside one unit.

Comment

Forts and towers have a maximum rate of fire, which is usually 3 for towers and 6 for forts. In the beginning, archers are best for increasing this. Other foot soldiers are half as effective. Even more citizens are needed to increment firing rates, something like 4 are needed I think. Cavalry do not increase firepower at all, but can be garrisoned to promote healing.

Once a tower is say, 3/3 or a fort is 6/6, adding additional foot units does nothing to make them stronger. I think when units upgrade, they do a better job of increasing the strength of these structures. For example, infantry are much better at this than slingers.

When in a wonder race, and when falling behind, attacking the AI wonder under production is another way of trying to complete your own copy first. If you have them, bombers are especially good at doing this, however any attacking unit that can scare away the AI workers may buy you enough time to finish first.

Comment

Working...
                          X