Completely new maps in CTW (bis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Completely new maps in CTW (bis)

I'm trying to replace the actual world map with a 16th century Europe map, comprising around 150 territories, historical accurate borders and names, and a special thing for London, Amsterdam, Genoa, Venice and Constantinople (just try to guess).

A lot of work. Nearly done & shareable. Even the small map and the equivalent of the original map's "continents" (replaced with areas like "Spanish Habsburg Empire", Ottoman Empire", "Holy Roman Empire" etc).

ALAS, alas, I'm stuck with the CTW_World_Map_01 :

1. Seems unable to deal with other territory names than the original ones (doesn't accept "Archduchy of Austria", "Duchy of Lancaster", "County of Provence", "Grand Principality of Muscovy", "Hafsid Kingdom", "Republic of Firenze" and other exotic stuff).

2. Able to compile, but RoN CTW itself does not accept more than 49 territories ?

Has anyone made it ?

Regards
    Last edited by wnogaret; June 24, 2003, 15:29.

For those who might be interested in the mod, here is the map.
    My tests are still unsuccessfull...

Regards

Comment

Nice looking map. I hope you can get it working. Of course, you'd have to expand the CTW game length, but I'm sure you already knew that!

Comment

You left out Scandinavia and Finland!

Comment

Denmark is there though So how is everything going with this project? Got any further for a fix?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoss
            Denmark is there though So how is everything going with this project? Got any further for a fix?
            YES !! m’lord

I’ve been stuck for several weeks, but Microslave taught me a few things and I could go on. I should be done by the end of next week.

As I play on a French version, I have to translate strings for you guys. That’s not easy because the CTW strategic map does not like translations and with these f*** French accents it often crashes.

Continents have been re-designed (hell).
            Barbarians have been re-written (re-hell).

Maya, Inca, Japanese and other extra-European tribes have been replaced with Portuguese, Austrians, Poles etc. Special abilities are still the old ones, though. I could not change them.

And guess what ? Denmark is a playable country.

For the interested ones, I joined the XML description of the above strategic map.

Regards.

Comment

Originally posted by wnogaret

YES !! m’lord

I’ve been stuck for several weeks, but Microslave taught me a few things and I could go on. I should be done by the end of next week.

As I play on a French version, I have to translate strings for you guys. That’s not easy because the CTW strategic map does not like translations and with these f*** French accents it often crashes.

Continents have been re-designed (hell).
              Barbarians have been re-written (re-hell).

Maya, Inca, Japanese and other extra-European tribes have been replaced with Portuguese, Austrians, Poles etc. Special abilities are still the old ones, though. I could not change them.

And guess what ? Denmark is a playable country.

For the interested ones, I joined the XML description of the above strategic map.

Regards.
              --edit--
              ups
              Attached Files

Comment

I'm in the process of making a new world map, with loads more countries. This biggest problem I've had with it so far is just the transparency map. I never did like Photoshop.

How are you doing your transparency map?

(In case of any confusion I may have caused I mean the map that would take the place of CTW_World_Map_01.png The one that is multicolored.:P)

Comment

Errr... how do you use this thing? I put in the render map and all but it crashes when I try to play it. Something is wrong!!!

Comment

it's not a full mod yet

Comment

Few key things to keep in mind when editing the Countries map (or as you call it Transperancy image).

First, and the most important. TURN ANTI-ALIASING OFF! RoN doesn't want to see pretty colors, it needs to know exactly where a country is, and where it isn't. Having additional colors in your countries map can cause RoN to crash, or display your CTW in very odd ways. Depending on what image editor you use, usually if you try and export your image as a GIF, and set the allowable colors to 256, it should tell you how many colors you have. You want the number of countries you have in your xml file, plus white (sea/water), plus black (indicates where to place the army/city). Basically, number of countries + 2.

If you have more than that, what I did was use the magic wand, and set the tolerance to 1. This means it will only select what is EXACTLY the same color as you click, it won't select the anti-alised colors. Then, select all your countries, then select the black dots (usually done with the regular rectangular selection tool). Once you have all that selected, find out how to select inverse, this varies depending on each graphic editing program you use. Once you have done that, you have essentially selected all the colors that don't belong, so hit delete. You should now have the right number of colors.

Thats about all there is to editing the countries map, the core of the problems come with the xml file. Obviously, don't let a two different countrys have the same color.

Comment

Thanks for that. That was the only thing I was having trouble with. And I couldn't figure out what to do about it. I found the xml file to be the easiest thing to do, but I'm more of a data guy than graphics.

Comment

So can we say the mod is coming soon??

Comment

I can't wait to try it out, keep up the good work!

Comment

Let me I wanna try now!

Comment

Working...
                              X