Need Firewall Port info for GameSpy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Firewall Port info for GameSpy

I read the gamegeek guide but it really didn't give me the info I needed. I'm using ZomeAlarm, I have to know if its UDP, TCP, ICMP or whatever before I open it up. I'd be happy to help figure it out but I can't get anyone to test with me. So far I've figured out I need to open UDP 13139 but I don't want to crash 40 peoples games while I figure this out.

I was able to play by just opening 13139 and giving RoN permissions. It was a bit laggy not sure if thats ZoneAlarms fault, anybody noticed a problem with that? I'm sure I can't host and I may be losing some GameSpy functionality like automatic game list refresh. What I don't know is what ports ZoneAlarm opened automatically when I gave RoN permission but it definitely didn't open 13139. This is what GameSpy has on their website:
    6667 (IRC)
    3783 (Voice Chat Port)
    27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
    28900 (Master Server List Request)
    29900 (GP Connection Manager)
    29901 (GP Search Manager)
    13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
    6515 (Dplay UDP)
    6500 (Query Port)

I'd love to know what each one of those does.

Comment

Glad I could be of assistance earlier grond, even more so that you are a poly member. One thing I would say about the lag is it may well be the US - UK thing. I tend to only play against fellow europeans, although the lag whilst playing americans is bearable, if slightly annoying.
      Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

I'm having trouble with zone alarm and icq - if icq is on and someone contacts me the game crashes. zonealarm seems to stop me hosting or joining games at Gamespy.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

ICQ was the deathknell back in my Gettysburg days. We would all meet in ICQ chat and have round robin single elimination tourneys using direct tcp/ip but we always closed ICQ when we launched the game.

Thanks for the help Scotty, it kind of defeats the purpose of having a firewall if your opening ports left and right to gain functionality. Hopefully ZoneAlarm only opens those ports when RoN is running and closes them when you quit. I need to figure out if their is a way I can assign port 13139 to the RoN permissions so I don't have to leave it open all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            I'm having trouble with zone alarm and icq - if icq is on and someone contacts me the game crashes. zonealarm seems to stop me hosting or joining games at Gamespy.
            Mmmm..., I've been considering a little online MP, but if I can't play from behind my ZoneAlarm Pro then this is not an option for me.
            APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Comment

Bump

Comment

Turn off the auto pop-up message in ICQ.

Add the ron.exe (or was it nation.exe?) in ZA and give permission to access internet and server.

Mind you, I've only play DirectIP with my friend. Until I get a better computer. Can't wait to play with you guys.

Comment

Working...
                X