Forts vs ships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forts vs ships

Like others (I think), I use forts to control choke points over narrow stretches of water. The problem is that the forts never seem to hold up too well against enemy ships. I can understand this in the Industrial (WWI) age, but before that, I would consider forts to have been very strong. It seems like just a few enemy ships can severely damage a fort, when that doesn't seem like it should be the case.

Is it just me or is this actually a problem?
    ----
    "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

RE:

I do the same.

Forts seem to hold up well against all things except Bombardment vessels, and they are essential floating artillery. That's a range issue. You just have to have your own navy to support a shore defense fortress.

Are your forts getting beat by things like Light Ships or Bombardment vessels, cause if it is Light Ships something is wrong, but with B-ships destruction of forts is one of their reasons for even existing. A mass of Heavy Ships would have a chance, but not much.

While forts are obviously stronger than a ship, you have to remenber that the ships are advancing in speed, armor, and firepower all throughout the game, just like everything else.
    "War does not determine who is right, it determines who is left."

Comment

True enough.

I also noticed that I wasn't garrisoning my forts. Oops.

That does remind me, though. I'd like to see forts gain an AA gun once the industrial age comes about- otherwise I have to micromanage a unit to go out and build AA guns around it, which is kind of annoying
      ----
      "I never let my schooling get in the way of my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Uhh??

"otherwise I have to micromanage a unit to go out and build AA guns around it, which is kind of annoying"

Don't you build a watch tower to watch over your fort from the begining??

I also support my fort with Art guns and a seige building. so that i can pop a damage art back for repair. Enemy light and heavy ships come and there they goes into the depth of the sea.

Also keep a shipyard beside the fort can keep a few fireship in it. Enemy B-ships come and enemy b-ship disappear. :

Comment

Originally posted by rocksk

Also keep a shipyard beside the fort can keep a few fireship in it. Enemy B-ships come and enemy b-ship disappear. :
          So what's the point of the fort alltogether?

Comment

This is more of a stratagy issue so I moved this here.

RAH
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
              So what's the point of the fort alltogether?
              A fort is a strongpoint, a PART of your defense structure. Like everything else in the game it takes a combination of units, buildings and techniques to work, and its "working" may not even include its survival.

Everything is a "struggle" in this game. That is, until you have won it and then it's a pushover: An Age advantage and only the occasional phantom unit (or maybe a spy) to oppose you.

Comment

Keep a handful of cannons nearby as well, they really take out ships like nothing else.
                I rolled a 6 cannon battery within range of the fleets of my two enemies who were bombarding my city, I easily sank about 20 ships within a very short time.
                You sunk my Scrableship!

Comment

Yes- land artillery beats up on naval.

Comment

Working...
                  X