The quest for knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The quest for knowledge

Just bought this game and played it for a while yesterday. Lots to learn . . ..

Ok-- I find that "knowledge" is the limiting factor in my quest to get the later techs/ages . All the other resources are interchangeable ( I did a few mass sell-offs of food and timber to buy oil or just to increase wealth.) but I find I am pretty much waiting around for the knowledge accumulation to climb.

I build universities with 7 scholars in every city but is there anything else to be done? What else influences knowledge accumulation ? Do additional libraries make any difference?
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

i'm assuming you get the researches at the library? they increase the rate of knowledge produced by each scholar.

more libraries do not speed up knowledge accumulation, but they allow you to research multiple things at once.

if you really feel knowledge is a major problem, try playing the greeks.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Thanks Uber Krux

I just finished reading your game account in another thread and now appreciate that getting certain techs first may speed kbnowldge production

I figured out the situation with the libraries. I guess you could build one in each city to try to get bigger cities but the additional libraries won't speed research much. I usually find that it is lack of resources, not lack of an available library, that was the bigger constraint on research.

Later in the game I have to remember to build a university as a priority in a newly conquered city, once it is secure

Overall a pretty great game but I still think I prefer turn-based games. There are so many times that I want to turn off the clock, survey my empire and issue a bunch of orders.
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

There are so many times that I want to turn off the clock, survey my empire and issue a bunch of orders.
        That's what the Pause (or 'P') key is for. I also am playing RoN like a TBS (civ) game.

When I am waiting for something to happen/accumulate, run at Normal or Fast. When in battle: Very Slow with occasional pauses. Occasional deep planning with a long pause.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

That's what the Pause (or 'P') key is for. I also am playing RoN like a TBS (civ) game.

When I am waiting for something to happen/accumulate, run at Normal or Fast. When in battle: Very Slow with occasional pauses. Occasional deep planning with a long pause.
          Excellent-- I just assumed it froze everything, (useful if you have to leave for a few minutes)-- This means that how fast I can click around the map is irrelevant.

I am liking this game more and more.

Comment

Hey Flubber, nice to see other former SMAC players giving RoN a try. A was an RTS gamer before this, but I have never before seen a game with as much strategic depth.
            http://xohybabla.ru

Comment

There are techs you can research at the university to increase the knowledge rate. They are available at each age starting with Middle Ages. The cost you wood, lots of wood as the first is 200 and they go up each age. As for other techs speeding knowledge, there are none I have found. You can get some minor knowledge from some of the rare resources.
              "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrik
                Hey Flubber, nice to see other former SMAC players giving RoN a try. A was an RTS gamer before this, but I have never before seen a game with as much strategic depth.
                hey hendrik

I am not a "former" SMAC/X player LOL. I still have about a dozen Pbems in progress I guess.

I just like that a SP game of this takes an hour or two rather than days and days

Comment

Working...
                X