Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions for testers...

1) Generals

Does the armor bonus they provide stack with additional Generals?

Is the entrenchment within generals area of effect automatic?

How long exactly does it take once you use a generals skill to replenish "craft" assuming full craft?

How long does the effect last?

Do you have full craft when the units created?

2) Buildings

What is the exact impact of upgrade buildings like granaries, etc?

When does it make sense to spend the resources for the upgrade building? i.e. Is it Ideal to wait until you've built 4-5 farms first before building a granary?

3) Border Management

What are the critical upgrades, buildings or units in extending borders. Is their a "path" suggested to optimize this?

Thanks for any specific responses.

1) Generals

Does the armor bonus they provide stack with additional Generals?

- No, otherwise people would have 20 Max LVL (+8, I believe) generals surround their units, giving each unit +160 armor, meaning they were invincible.

Is the entrenchment within generals area of effect automatic?

- I'm not sure what your asking, but if I understand you right then your answer is no. You have to click the button or press the hotkey associated with the entrenchment craft.

How long exactly does it take once you use a generals skill to replenish "craft" assuming full craft?

- A very, very short time. Craft is almost pointless in RoN because it recharges so quickly.

How long does the effect last?

- Until you cancel it by doing certain things (ie attacking when you're on "ambush" or moving when you're on "entrenchment") or until a certain time limit (usually around 60 seconds I believe).

Do you have full craft when the units created?

- Yes.

2) Buildings

What is the exact impact of upgrade buildings like granaries, etc?

Let's take granaries for example. A grainary has a base upgrade power of 20%, meaning if you build a granary in a city with one farm you'll be getting not +10 but +12. Therefore, each farm in your city (up to a max of five for all nations except egyptian, in which case it's seven) will produce +12 instead of +10. As you progress through the game and get specific science upgrades you'll be able to increase the upgrade power of your grainary, all the way to 200%, meaning instead of +10 you'll be getting +30. The same applies to lumber camps (for timber) and smelters (for metal). Oil is upgraded differently. Since wells are scattered through the map, it wouldn't make sense to make it citywide. Therefore, each refinery you build increases your output for oil by 33%, and this number doesn't change. This stacks, however, so two refineries produce 66% as much, and so on and so forth. Knowledge production can be increased by getting certain upgrades at the university, which become available after certain science and age requirements are met. The only way to increase wealth is to research taxation (and increase your boundaries in accordance because taxation is based on % of map controled) at the temple or by creating more cities/caravans. Each market in a city increases your wealth income by +10, and this increases as your city size increases. Also, certain wonders have affects on your income as well (ie Eiffel Tower is 100% more oil income).

When does it make sense to spend the resources for the upgrade building? i.e. Is it Ideal to wait until you've built 4-5 farms first before building a granary?

Each city you build that has farms in it should have a grainary. Of course, it doesn't make sense to build 1 grainary and 1 farm in each city. Since a grainary (due to ramping) can cost more than farms, you should look at the level of upgrade you have on it. For instance, if you have it maxed, 1 grainary and 1 farm produces the same amount as 3 farms. Therefore, it makes sense to build a grainary even if you only have 1 farm (also, this helps preserve population at the end of the game). If your grainary only produces 20% more, that means 5 farms will produce as much as 1 farm bonus, for a total of 6 farms. It doesn't make sense to waste your resources on a grainary if you can spend it building more farms. The grainary is only useful in this situation once you have all 5 farms. Lumber camps should be built if you have alot of choppers, and smelters should only be built if your city has a mine in it. Oil refineries, however, should always be built in every city - it's very helpful because it's nationwide and it stacks. Once you have every upgrade on the university you usually need only about 25 scholars to fit your needs, therefore meaning you'll need only 4 universities. It's a waste to build more, because +999 will be the highest you can reach.

3) Border Management

What are the critical upgrades, buildings or units in extending borders. Is their a "path" suggested to optimize this?

- To extend borders the following buildings will help: City, Castle/Fortress/Redoubt, and temple. Cities and C/F/R's will directly extend your borders, and temples will indirectly extend them. A temple works by extending the effect of your city, which, in turn, extends your borders. C/F/R's have their own special research (which is researched in the C/F/R) that extends their ability to push out you rborders. The cheapest way to extend your borders is a temple (especially once fully upgraded), but cities are always needed to keep a strong economy going so you should use cities if you have the resources. I usually use C/F/R's for defense, rather than border pushing, unless I need like half a mountain (in which case a C/F/R is the most logical choice). A path to optimize? Well, put a temple in every border town and put C/F/R's where you are undefended. Make sure to research all the extension tech's in the C/F/R (the left research; the right research extends general/spy abilities) and in the temple (the left research; the right is taxation related).

Thanks for any specific responses.

- No Problem

- PTM

Comment

Just to add to PTM's answers:

>How long does the effect last?

* With "Entrenchment the units (Barrack units only ) will remain 'Entrenched' until you give the order to move.

>What is the exact impact of upgrade buildings like granaries, etc?

*Granaries, Lumbermills & Smelters increase the productivity of their respective trades. You'd be silly not to have a Granary in a town that had farms, or a Lumbermill in a town that had a sawmill, etc. As for the Refinary, Build one in EVERY city, even captured cities. I, Personally, find that I can max out my Commerce Cap in Oil with just 1-2 Oil wells & say 8 Refinaries (giving you a 264% increase in yield ).

>When does it make sense to spend the resources for the upgrade building? i.e. Is it Ideal to wait until you've built 4-5 farms first before building a granary?

*Usually when your Commerce Cap stops flashing. If you're reaching your target without, lets say a Granary, then you could perhaps wait til you've researched the next level of Commerce @ Library. Then, when Com Cap stops flashing, build the granaries in each of your Farming Cities, do the research & you may find you hit the Com Cap again without building more farms. Personally I usually build one as soon as they become available. Even if that means getting one of my farmers to build it. I normally find 15 farms+3Granaries+Granary research= Commerce Cap.

Some of this PTM has already stated quite well, I just felt, upon reading, that some of the answers needed a little more clarification.

BTW, a Temple in EVERY city is usually a good idea as this increases the City's hit points. A City without a Temple is weaker than a city with a temple, hence in another thread someone suggests taking down an enemies temple before hitting the actual city to make taking the city easier.

Sorry for any cross-over PTM, not trying to tread on your toes.
      APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Comment

one error I noticed PTM made in his excellant response: knowledge has no cap. The more, the better, especially in the last three ages when a single tech can drain your whole knowledge reserves.

Comment

I've seen knowledge cap at +999.

Comment

Originally posted by Xelvonar
            I've seen knowledge cap at +999.
            Every resource caps at +999.

- PTM

Comment

hmm... is the knowledge cap ALWAYS at 999 then? perhaps I was misinterpreting what you were saying...

Comment

Originally posted by Brodie
                hmm... is the knowledge cap ALWAYS at 999 then? perhaps I was misinterpreting what you were saying...
                Sorry for repeating it but...

Every resource has a minimum income of +0 and a maximum income of +999. +999 is the highest commerce cap you can achieve (unless you mod the game) and is attainable by researching the end-game tech "Global Prosperity." Knowledge doesn't adhere to the commerce cap until it reaches +999, which is the highest.

It's possible to have a commerce cap that's lower than income recieved. This is attainable through certain wonders and rare resources and the like. Once you reach the highest amount of income you can achieve for a resource that resource will flash yellow. Your commerce cap must be upgraded in order for you to increase your inflow of that resource. As said before (and I'll say it again) "knowledge will not need a commerce cap upgrade and can surpass the commerce cap until it reaches +999, in which case it will NOT be able to grow any further."

- PTM

Comment

Working...
                X