Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Increased Base Unit cost = Alot more fun!(mod) Less spam war!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increased Base Unit cost = Alot more fun!(mod) Less spam war!

Well I was kind of getting tired of spammed units. Units are dirt cheap and at later ages it becomes a spam fest. Click on hotspot on map and spam units till one side wins.

Not anymore.

My mod increases base cost of all units by x2. Now a Basic Hopelite normally 50f costs 100food. Now ramping is still in effect at later ages it costs alot to keep unit up. Ramping as we know goes down when your units die. So cost will never get out of hand. Units do increase 1 point per unit though but thats not enough to make a huge difference.

As of now in Info Age I can still get a good army but when they die its more of a threat then it was. Before I could just spam units out non-stop now units cost makes it harder to spam.

Changelog on 3rd reply!! Many changes added!
    Last edited by Vipermmx; June 14, 2003, 20:55.

Also I might need to balance the mod some tech vs early unit buildup. What I want to do is make sure a person in hgiher age tech will have an advantage vs lower tech.

For instance I want a 5 man group of hopelites to die to a 3 man group of phalix(sp?). Because the person that teched wont have as many units because of tech and new unit costs. I want to make sure its balanced.

I might release early and if anyone wants to test mod without unit changes and see if a low tech with more units has to much of an advantage. One thing I have found is ages dont matter as much as id like with these new changes.

Anyway ill be back once I finish scripting might be tomorrow alittle busy today!
    Last edited by Vipermmx; June 14, 2003, 20:50.

Comment

Update:

Change log below!
      Last edited by Vipermmx; June 14, 2003, 20:56.

Comment

Change Log:

-Unit Cost doubled(seige,citizens cost not changed seige being watched)

-Barracks, Stable, Seige Factory, Airport and Harbor all limited to 1 per city(radius doesnt matter on city and this also reduces the damn cpu's boat fantasy problem)

-Combat values for age increased may be tampered with still under evaluation.

-Possibly may limit 1 mine,tree, and oil per city. This change might happen based on tests after other changes made. It might be to much of an over kill on income with new costs.

-Supply Wagon cost tripled. Supply wagon cost increased because these units are extremely effective. (opinion on this would be nice? Should they only double like rest or triple cost?)

Opinions on changes would be nice. Thanks!

Comment

good job attaching it by the way.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

You might want to try expensive, slow research and low resources. That should effectively limit how many units can be produced.

I also think it'd make more sense to throttle resource rate rather than make units more expensive. Just making the units more expensive would tend to throw other things out of whack, I'd think.
            _/\ C
            Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

I tried doing resource cut but it messed up alot more because people can have unlimited wood/mines. I have changed all units to x2 increase and the game runs MUCH smoother and not as much spam.

The balance has worked out great. Just expensive and very slow doesnt do much. It just ramps up research cost but the problem is only knowledge is the one your low on. Everything else like wood ect. you always have to much.

With my changes the game runs VERY smooth there is still big battles but losing units hurts like it should. You cant just keep sending unit after unit to die. you will run out of resources soon.

Also note I havent released mod yet getting opinions on changes ive noted to see how others feel.....

How would you feel about 1 barracks/stable/harbor/siege building per city? It makes the need to build cities near water and also makes the game more stratigic.

Anyway when its done I will release it for others to play Till then ill post the next change log when I have made final adjustments with the attachment!

Comment

Viper, you might want to check out the creation forum for discussing this kind of thing. I think your ideas and energy will find a very suitable home there.
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by Carch
                  I also think it'd make more sense to throttle resource rate rather than make units more expensive. Just making the units more expensive would tend to throw other things out of whack, I'd think.
                  Slowing down the resource rate does not work well, I have tested to halve the resource rate and there are a few problems.

1: You cannot change the income from caravans, I can’t find out how anyway.

2: By slowing down the resource rate you are offsetting the technology balance. The commerce technology loosing a lot of its value sense you will not need a high commerce cap.

So increasing the cost of units and research are a better solution.

/Morkul

Comment

But wouldn't this mod make the nations that can generate free units, like the Mongols, extremely overpowered?

Bati

Comment

I can't say that I feel that it unbalances the game, Bati (I've written a similar mod). However, if it would bother you, you could always change the number of free units acquired. However, as I have doubled the cost of everything, including buildings and their ramping costs, building a zillion stables will get very expensive after a while..

Cheers!
                      Calanor

Comment

Hey all you can now download the enhanced war mod. The changes will be listed below!

-All units base cost increased by x2. (seige,citizens,caravans,merchants no change)

-This also raises ramping since its based on base cost.

Example; Infantry 60f(before) now at 120f first price. With ramping can cost 240 a pop MAX.

This mod kills spam. When playing on Very slow and expensive tech this mod makes gameplay much better. No more spamming units till one of ya dies. You need to keep them alive alot more now

Have Fun! Besure to back up your Unitrules.xml!

I will balance as needed please post any info on balance inside this thread and I will correct as needed!

This mode was made to play on Very expensive and Very slow tech setting. It makes the game longer and slower as units get expensive. It does not unbalance anything. Seige price was kept the same because they have a high support cost already. If you like spamless war have fun!

NEXT CHANGES

All these might be in next version....

-all unit producing buildings limited to city radius and 1 per city(this will stop the damn Ais fantasy of building tons of units and mobing.

-Unit balance changes to help out higher techers vs rushers.

Have fun all!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X