Ramping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ramping

I don't like it. A good idea on paper imo but it virtually assures everybody has the exact same army. The counters combat bonuses which appear to pretty large already encourage variety, ramping is overkill. With the unique units being almost identical to the regular units combat is too bland. Without ramping it would be more viable for people to try different strategies, right now it seems to boil down to the person with the bigger army wins if both people know what they are doing.

Re: Ramping

[SIZE=1] it virtually assures everybody has the exact same army.
    Do you build the same army every game?

I don't.
    _/\ C
    Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

I love ramping.

Comment

What's ramping?

Comment

It's how you USE your military that counts!

Ramping: (1) For each type of military unit producer, the cost of subsequent units increases, up to double the particular unit's cost. (2) For each type of building produced, the cost of subsequent buildings increases (without limit -- I've seen barracks costing 970 timber).

Comment

You could build more spies and bribe away the type of unit you for which you want a surplus. For each one gained this way, your opponent is also losing one of the same type, and the relative composition of both armies will change rapidly.

Ramping is good, though, as long as ramping costs are not too excessive. Ramping limits silly exploitations by balancing the game.

Comment

Ramping is also important becasue it means if you loose a battle, it's easyer to reproduce your army than it is for your enemy to enlarge his, ensuring a closer game.

It's also important because without ramping you could spam forts and towers everywhere.
              "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
              - UberKruX

Comment

Ramping keeps the rich and powerful economies from drowning the opposition.

Currently my next fort will cost 712 wealth & 2137 metal
                the next tower, 225 wealth & 543 metal; the next barracks a mere 2145 timber and stables are still cheap at 795 timber.

Have built though 10 forts, 27 towers, 15 barracks and only 9 stables.

Actually I look forward to having something destroyed every now and then so I have the opportunity of a cheaper build mayhep further out on the expanding borders.

Happy Gaming,
                Ramping reminds me of graduated income tax both can get 'out of hand'

Antrine
                The Graveyard Keeper
                Of Creation Forum
                If I can't answer you don't worry
                I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

I was referring to units only. I do like ramping for buildings.

Comment

Working...
                  X