Patch 2 Errors - Try Uninstall/Reinstall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch 2 Errors - Try Uninstall/Reinstall

I was getting an error like many others when trying to install the new patch, at the 60% mark. I completely uninstalled the game and then reinstalled it, and then I was able to get the patch to install successfully.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Anybody that can confirm this? I hadn't made any changes to any files so I'm a little reluctant to go to this extreme until I know it works. Between installing and downloading the patch on a 56k thats the better part of an hour. Whatever happened to letting us download the patches ourselves, not everybody can get broadband.

Comment

I hadn't made any changes to any files either, with one tiny exception of modifying the .ini to disable the opening movie. I can tell you that lots of other people on GameSpy are doing the uninstall/reinstall to get it to work - I didn't come up with the idea myself.
      Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Carch told me that you don't have to download the patch again. Before you uninstall, save out the file patch.rtp from the root Rise of Nations directory. It should be a 7MB file. Then after you uninstall and reinstall, put the file back in the directory. Bring up a command line, go to the Rise of Nations directory, and run "rise.exe /patch patch.rtp w". Like I said, I got this from Carch.

Comment

Hmm, actually if you uninstall, that might not work. Depending on the patch you download... there are different patch.rtp files for updating from the retail version and from the patch1 patched version.

I had to use the command line to update after downloading because RON didn't patch itself after downloading.

If you have ANY doubts at all, I'd just wait until the full download is made available (I'm guessing pretty soon on that one ...)
          _/\ C
          Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

did the reinstall thing 5 times.... didnt work, looks like friday 13th has done it again

Comment

Just curious, but what does the the w switch do?

Comment

Working...
              X