Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My many theories on why RON runs !#(& on my comp.... want your input

My game acts VERY strangley.....

First I had a bunch of trouble playing the game at all(starting it)-but dl'ing a CD crack fixed that(I bought the game btw).

I get these odd lockups sometimes that can last from 30 seconds to 2 minutes......I thought it was lag online, till I realized I was getting it in single player too.

I turned on the FPS, and found out during those lock ups, my FPS was going to like 2...... Which was locking up my comp and lagging me off in multiplayer games.

I have an athalon, tons of memory, a nvidia geoforce.

I run morrowind(aka the game which kills everyones comp) on the highest settings with no problems, but on the lowest for RoN-a graphically inferior game, my FPS dies.....

I cant think of ANYTHING to cause it to go so low..... My video card isnt overheating, nothing in my comp is, plenty of disk space.....

I havent defraged in like 2 months though-gonna try that tonight-if that dosent work, any ideas?

One last thing, which I thought was VERY VERY odd!

My original idea on FPS dropping was having too many units on the screen at once.... I noticed when I loaded my conquer the world campaing, I got the lockups MUCH more ofter then other times, and almost constantly droping FPS to 2 or 3. On another map (me and 3 comps VS 4 other comps) I got the tech tree maxed out, all researchm, so I could see the WHOLE MAP-no fog of war anywhere. I would of thought this would of killed my FPS for the rest of the map,(saved before I did it) but AFTER I did it, I realized I went almost 20 minutes without a lockup-which is VERY bizzare-thoughts?

Oner thing is that RON seems to have been designed with Shaders in mind. If you have a low end video card (i.e GeForce2 or below or Radeon 7500 or below) that didn't support shaders in hardware, performance is going to be like @#$@!#$
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

My guess is that what's happening during the "lockups" is that the game is loading unit & building graphics when a player switches ages. Load up a solo game with a bunch of civs and try the cheat to see what happens:

cheat age <#>
      _/\ C
      Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

Working...
      X