MOD: Scout from Lookout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Scout from Lookout

I personally have not seen much point in a lookout what with building a tower just one research away - I may be missing something here, please tell me if I am.

In any case, in this attached mod, the scout/explorer (plus any upgrades I guess - I haven't tested it that far) is built from a Lookout instead of a Barracks. This gives the Lookout a bit more use and also means you can build more scouts early on (to explore and get the bonuses more quickly) without any military research.

This is particularly significant if you use a "slow and high cost tech mod (x10)" like I prefer to. (I'll put that mod up later after I'm relatively happy with it).

Please give me feedback on this scout idea or let me know what I'm missing about the uses of the Lookout.
    Attached Files
    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Hi Rusty Gamer!

I think your ideas are brilliant!
    Another thing I do not like is how 'scouts' have no firepower to defend themselves. My idea is that scouts and explorers are the toughest and most resourceful of any profession, especially in those pre-modern time periods.

Anyway, in addition to your excellent ideas, I am game testing letting the scouts and explorers fight back with similiar prowness of the 'partisan' units.

I have also recently adjusted 'fort' and 'tower' garrison limits to 20 and 10 respectively. As well their firepower with those garrisoned units to 10 and 5 respectively. Now they have teeth when well garrisoned. This is especially noticable in early Ages, before siege units become common. The seige units still knock them down fine, so one must neutralize them swiftly with any units available from the stables.

Another interesting point is and I have not yet allowed this to happen is having garrisoned units trapped in a destroyed tower or fort and thereby (I assume) losing them entire. This would be a fair balance in the overall scheme I feel. No free ride anywhere, so can you habitually employ fail-safe strategies and then forget them.

Happy Gaming,
    Antrine
    The Graveyard Keeper
    Of Creation Forum
    If I can't answer you don't worry
    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

You shouldn't lose all the units if it is destroyed... it should be a random number of units, but always more than half of the total number garrisoned.

Comment

lookouts can see hidden units. towers cannot. lookouts have a larger LOS.
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
        - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
        X