Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RON deleted all my games!!!!

AAAAAHHH!!
    This f****ing Programm has deleted my whole game Folder!
    I installed it, unfortunately didnt recognize RON doesnt create a new Folder in the specified one. So it threw all the files in my c:\games folder using it as root. OK, no big deal lets test it i thought. Of course it crashed all the time, i couldnt do anything good with it and uninstalled it. And it just deleted the whole Folder! First thought: the meanest virus of the world hit me. But after some McAffee testing i recognized that RON is true evil . Cant bear having working games around.
    I tried this with CivIII and Anno1503: they just uninstall the files and folders they created, if there are any others they just let them be.
    Never, never, never, never was so pissed of by any game I ever owned !!!! Lucky I didnt install it to C:\. Bet it would have formated my disc.

ron does create a new folder... at least, it did on mine. when you installed, did you make sure that the end of the path was Rise of nations?

i'm surprised by the uninstall, though. usually a program uninstalled just the files that came with it, in the uninstall.isu. then again, microsoft might have been the one to package it...
    B♭3

Comment

Reminds me of the old Dilbert(tm) cartoon where while installing a new program the horrified user sees a message that says "now making room on your hard disk."

Seriously, if you are using Windows XP always create a Restore Point before installing anything at all. When using anything other than the default path for install, always make sure the new path ends in a unique folder name because most install programs will dump their files where you specify. On uninstall if you check the box that says get rid of old games also, many uninstall programs will delete the entire target folder.
      i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

Hehe, that's microsoft for you .
        cIV list: cheats
        Now watch this drive!

Comment

Not really "microsoft" per se. The OS ought to do what you tell it. Program designers might consider putting warning code into the installation programs that will say something like "Folder already exists. You are about to put files into a folder that already has files in it. Do you wish to proceed?"
          i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

what i meant when i said microsoft might have packaged it is that microsoft doesn't use a uninstall.isu file. they record installed files some other way, while the current industry standard is installshield.

installshield does use that uninstall.isu.
            B♭3

Comment

Working...
            X