Use the infinite queue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use the infinite queue!

Being well-versed in AOE and AOK, I have had to unlearn some bad habits to improve my RON game. One specific bad habit was to queue up a bunch of units using shift + or by mashing the hotkey a few times until the resources ran out.

In AOK this works because you pay for units only when they begin to train, but in RON you pay for them as they queue up, making it difficult to sustain production without significant micro-management.

However, I found that the infinite queue button solves this dilemma quite nicely. (This is only for those that are NOT using it. If you use it obviosuly you know this already.) So instead of hitting HCCCCCC imediately at the start of the game (or now VVVVVVV), you can just hit VQ (or whatever you have remapped to).

This becomes an essential tool for playing on the faster speeds and is also useful for larger macro management.

For example: I build an early barracks and queue up one "iteration" of my army: slinger, hoplite, slinger and then hit Q. This will slowly give me an army with a 2:1 ratio of slingers and hoplites, and will contine to grow as long as I have resources and population available. I set my rally point on a likely enemy avenue of approach and things tend to take care of themselves.

In later ages, I can manage both my army and econ by watching the top left info boxes, setting rally points on my hot-keyed generals, and buying/selling resources with clicks on the market boxes in the top left - with little degradation of logistics, even at hyper-speed. (Maneuvering is a little different!)

If you're not using the infinite queue, I'd highly encourage it. It takes a moment of practice for the AOK player, but it's a definite improvement.
    Out4Blood's Rise of Nation Strategy Blog

So infinite queue just repeats producing whatever is currently under production and/or queued? I've never used it, but I think I'll try. If you have infinite queue on, can you leave it on while manually inserting other units into the queue? For example, could I put a seige factory on infinite queue of artillery but occassionally toss in a supply wagon? What if I want to research a unit upgrade? Do you have to turn the infinite queue off for that and then turn it back on, or can you just insert the upgrade into the queue without deactivating the infinite queue?
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

You could add a supply wagon, then delete it from the queue once you had what you needed. If you add a research item, it will research when it comes up, then go back to the next item in the queue.

Try it out.
      Out4Blood's Rise of Nation Strategy Blog

Comment

Only thing I don't like about infinite queue is that I don't like being at my population limit. I'd use it more if there were a configurable buffer beyond which auto-queues would not build. That way if I need to urgently build a few specific units, I can.
        _/\ C
        Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

i just hate the fact that my resources are taken as they are needed though. i'll be sitting there waitig for 1000 food or something, and another unit will start and take 150 from me.

i use them on caravans and later in the game, but i wouldnt dare use them earlier. i can micromanage fairly well.
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

OMG, I never noticed that b4(infinite queue)!!! I just play a game on moderate and made a barracks produce 2:1, light:heavy inf, I was awesome, I just set the rally point to my general and pow the reinforcements just kept on comin! Be advised you HAVE to get a solid economy going before you start this, midevil age at the earliest prolly, so you dont run out of resources, especially food. Anyway thanks again! Later.
            "We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction."
            -Gen. Douglas MacArthur
            ~HAIL CAESAR!~

Comment

One of the best uses I have found for the infinity queue is for Nuclear Silos.

In the late game, I often have 3 silos, numbered 8-0 in my control groups. I set each one to infinite production of ICBMs, and so nuking my enemy is easy. Just press 8, right click; 9, right click; and 0, right click, and 3 nukes get launched. Then they will automatically rebuild, making life easy.

Comment

Yap, infinite queue is a must when fighting mid age setting games. army is usually so huge and battle usually last a long time that look like a never ending story.

Play roman. age set to medv only. 3 vs 3. I am against inc. THis guys just pump out unit like water. Every time i hit his city, i can see units flowing in constantly within my LOS. Then i learn to use infinite build, i also learn that one barrack, one stable is not enough. I end up with 4 barracks. 1 barrack for each type of infantry and 1 for rolation between them.

Need to fight water with water.

Comment

Infinite queues are great. It seems they are cancelled when new upgrades are availble (or when u upgrade I cant remember).

Comment

It looks like they are great, indeed, I just wonder why are they such a little button that is so hard to spot .
                    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Wow, it's a whole new game. Infinite queue is great!
                      Last edited by vlar; June 12, 2003, 23:21.
                      Click Next Tip to continue cycling through the available tips. Click Previous Tip to return to earlier tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Caesar Saladus
                        One of the best uses I have found for the infinity queue is for Nuclear Silos.

In the late game, I often have 3 silos, numbered 8-0 in my control groups. I set each one to infinite production of ICBMs, and so nuking my enemy is easy. Just press 8, right click; 9, right click; and 0, right click, and 3 nukes get launched. Then they will automatically rebuild, making life easy.
                        Hilarious I love this game. Infinitely queued nukes is the best thing I've heard all day
                        ----
                        Humanity and it's environment are our future, not gods.

Comment

Another thankyou for the heads up.

It works great and they DID remember to let you turn it off, too, and that helps!

Comment

Nice tip. So only one building can be queued or is there a way to queue multiple buildings including library?

Comment

Multiple buildings work, since each has its own IQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X