Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there unbalanced nations?

Yeah,
    let's twist the "which nations do you play" scenario.

So what's your opinion: Are there any nations that are stonger (better/easier) or weaker (harder) to play than the others?

No, no, no, no, NO!

I am myself getting pretty annoyed at people (don't mean you here) who get a game and start complaining against imbalances immediately. Age of Mythology disappointed me that way... it was very well balanced at the beggining, only a small tweak was needed, but the Newbie Community screamed so loud, that major changes were made, and now THOSE made the game inbalanced.

IMO, RoN is balanced very well. To the point where yes, I absolutely love Aztecs, but I don't think there's something inbalanced. The strongest thing in the game, I think, is a Bantu player who builds the Colossus.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yes, talking about unbalance should be suspended until the game is out at least three months.

Comment

Maybe it is still too early to rightly judge imbalances, but I just don't see any yet.

Comment

i have played every race, most of them effectively.

theres a big difference between "i feel this is unbalanced" and "i don't like these attributes".
          "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
          - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I even thought that maybe the Chinese instant build of citizens was going to be unbalanced. But when I play against Chinese using players, I don't see a problem.

They typically get a nice quick boost in score right at the outset of the game, but I tend to keep pace with them throughout.

Comment

Is it me or do the Greek just feel a bit weak compared to the others? I played a CtW campaign with them and I don't feel overly impressed

Comment

Regarding the greeks, I thought so too until I got them in a couple multiplayer games, and realized how far ahead I was in technology. Also, be sure to get your attack on before Enlightenment; the earlier the better. Those Greek heavy cav kick butt, and their speed makes them well suited for raids.
                _/\ C
                Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

their our only nations that suit you, or don't
                  Pain is of no subsequence to me, for you cannot kill what cannot bleed!

Comment

Play the greeks before you doubt their effectiveness. Their cavalry is pretty powerful, and the cheaper universitiy is really nice.

Oh and that -10% for all library research helps a bunch too :P
                    "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
                    - UberKruX

Comment

The Greeks...
                      Played them (SP, my 1st tough game) vs. 6 on a 7-8 size old world map yesterday. I was disappointed with the initial university and NO money to get scholars with (all my previous games had been as Rome).

Thank you Bridger, for pointing out their other scientific advantages. May have had something to do with the ease of the win: 24 Wonder pts / 75% territory in 2 hours -- seemed like 14.

(Edit: tech on Very Slow & Expensive)
                      Last edited by Jaybe; June 11, 2003, 15:53.

Comment

Another vote for the Greeks and the tech lead they can achieve and exploit. They do this best on Toughest.

Comment

The Spanish?

I'm sure I'm just playing them wrong but is having the map revealed that huge an advantage? Are they still viable in a game, sea map or land, starting in the Industrial Age?

Comment

Re: The Spanish?

Originally posted by LordGek
                            I'm sure I'm just playing them wrong but is having the map revealed that huge an advantage? Are they still viable in a game, sea map or land, starting in the Industrial Age?
                            all it does is reveal terrain. ruins and special resources are not visible (IIRC), and the "fog of war" covers everything. it's useful, but it's a major trade off. give me inca any day
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Spain
                              -They have a very strong start (those bonusruins help alot combined with 1 or 2 scienceupgrades). In Teamgames u can end up with ~2k ruinres. That doesn't sound much, but keep in mind that u get most of it at the start of the game,where u low on res.
                              -You can get many rare resources fast.
                              -You know where the terrain is good for a attack.
                              -You know the position of his rare res and so raiding them is very easy.
                              -In Teamgames u can ping your teammates points of interest(rare res, big forests, lakes, etc).
                              -The uu is ok, not too strong, but strong enough for a decent rush or attack.

Comment

Working...
                              X