Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated server?

Musings of a long time lurker.

Question for the BHG folks. How hard would it be to allow the EXE to run as a dedicated server only. I have done some fooling around just on the lan here and found that the game hosted by a low power computer that runs 'F' Graphics options seems to do quite well at hosting games on the lan. (I park my dedicated computer in the corner and we have a agreement around here not to take out the Host. He gets his own team and players tend to get mad when he gets the race they want. Who said force random was boring. :P )

The next logical thing would be to disable the need to render graphics entirely. Is this feasable/possible in the current .ini structure or would it require a major code change?

Another nice feature would be to spawn a child that could run as a dedicated process on another box. Graphics mode would be disabled of course but could be implimented like the old Warcraft "Spawn a copy" process (which I wish more comapnies did...but that's better off discussed somehwere else.)

Thanks for the time.
    //cow

I don't think you understand how RoN works, it's not like an FPS where you can set up a dedicated server simply because of the nature of the game...

Comment

Moving RoN to a dedicated mode could have merits including (but not limited to) improving FPS/Gameplay for the client machine and allowing for larger amount of computer opponents.

I am interested in wheter a psuedo client/server model has ever been considered and my question does not depend on the nature of the game.

Comment

Darth this is actually a good idea and shouldn't just be applied to FPS's but any real time game. By doing this there is the potential to allow smoother play through the host not having to worry about also playing the game.

Comment

Working...
        X