Age Advancement vs Infrastructure Development in multiplayer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age Advancement vs Infrastructure Development in multiplayer

Which is more important if your opponent is "age rushing"?

If you just let him get ahead in the ages, then he will be able to field a more advanced army than you; however if you focus more on your resource development, you could be better off in the long run.

However, while your opponent might only be able to afford 1 or 2 large armies, if they hit you with a decent sized Enlightenment Age army while you are still in the Medieval Age, you might not survive it to rebuild later.

I have an opponent that I play against regularily. He is not nearly as good as I am at developing his nation's resource gathering, however he will quickly rush through the Ages. I am finding myself sacrificing some of my expansion in order to keep up with him. I am able to win, but my nation is not as sturdy as I would like it to be.

Which is the more effective strategy? Age rushing, or focusing on resources? Right now we are both rushing through the ages, and my gameplay is a bit sloppy.

Generally, I don't worry about opponents who quickly age advance. If you're playing well, then you know your resources development will be better. Getting an age ahead only gives a slight edge in military - the unit upgrades aren't that drastic from one age to the next. Two ages ahead might have me a little worried. But I'm almost always behind getting to Classical, yet my points are usually higher. I don't, however, like people getting to Gunpowder before me. That's when I attack!
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

if he age rushes just hit him with 4-5 Hoplites in Ancient and its game over

Comment

Well Flayer, i doubt you'll be able to tell if he's age rushing in aincient :P

If somebody is age rushing you must weigh your options. You could choose to follow him, or develop your infrastructure at your own pace, knowing that you'll be able to sling shot later.

But how much can you build your infrastructure and yet still have time to slingshot before he hits you? That is the question that changes on a game to game basis. The longer you build infrastructure the greater a risk you are taking but the greater the rewards if it works.
        "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
        - UberKruX

Comment

well bridger caesar seems to know his friends strategy quite well

age rushers are just like techers in cnc etc, just hit them with a decent military fairly early and they dont stand a chance.

Comment

I'd drop an early barracks and infinite queue some cheap troops. If he attacks you, you have defenses. If he doesn't, you can upgrade those later to your gunpowder troops and you are ready to rock and roll. With any defense, it's pretty hard to take down towns before gunpowder age.
            Out4Blood's Rise of Nation Strategy Blog

Comment

Working...
            X