Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sword and Musket Mod

Updated Mod File Added

Cities and Forts have greatly increased Hitpoints and defensive capabilities. This will make taking a city and pushing a front a more prolonged and grueling task. If you want to succeed you better commit fully.

Hi all,

First off, before you use any mod, be sure to BACK UP your old .xml data files.

Hope you enjoy,

[-]RoN Epic Mod[-]

I made a quick mod for a ***Ancient -> Industrial Age*** game. I prefer going Enlight->Enlight but the mod has altered units for Ancient->Industrial if you so choose.

The mod basically makes ALL units VERY slow moving and have DRASTICALLY reduced damage. Cannons and ships do full damage but do move slower.

THIS MOD MAKES THE GAME SLOWER PACED yet more EPIC with huge prolonged battles.

Spies, Generals and Siege Weapons take longer to build also with increased costs.

Pop Cap also increased to 500 max per player and Econ Cap is upped to 600.

I played a few test games and the result were some really nice "trench" line battles that actually lasted for more than 10 seconds so there's actually time to flank and position AND have those moves matter.

Pushing into enemy territory also requires a lot more planning and tactical control due to slower reinforcement flow and progression.

The slower moving units also make Supply Wagons that much more essential since slow moving units in enemy territory with no supply equals death due to attrition.

If you give this mod a try I HIGHLY suggest to play on:

+Normal Game Speed even if prefering slow speed.
    +TOUGHEST difficulty level (even if you think you're not so good)
    +NO wonder victory
    +Enlightenment->Enlightenment Age.
    +Map Size fitted to Number of Players.
    +Survival of the Fittest/Assassin/Teams
    +A "fast" computer+vid card.

Some Play Suggestions:
    +General Force March ability will make units move very fast compared to their new reduced speeds. This makes Force March a SUPER powerful ability. Hence the increased general costs and construction time.
    +Establish defenses on all fronts. Get Forts and Towers up along with their own set of military unit producing structures.
    +Cities and their locations are VERY important. Since civilians are very slow now you'll have to have construction crews dedicated to certain fronts. No more single hotkey construction group running all over the map unless you want to lose badly.
    +Since battles are more prolonged and "trench" like be sure to have barracks "auto grouping" reinforcements into your hotkey bound units by selecting Barracks then right clicking on your group. This will save a LOT of micromanagement time. If not that, set your rally points near front lines.
    +After you tech up take Scholars out and either slay them or convert them into Minute Men and send them off to study warfare first hand... They have no more use since age cap.

Installation Notes:

Be sure to BACK-UP your UNITRULES.XML and RULES.XML and BUILDINGRULES.XML files.

Just copy files into your Rise of Nations /DATA folder and overwrite.

Joseph Twu
    Lamebrain/bort
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bortin; June 12, 2003, 15:07.

would be nice to play that in ww2 style, so bombing runs and aireal battles are worth the trouble

Comment

Now i know why WWI Sucked so much ***, after 20 or so minutes your out of resources and units take a year to get to the front

Comment

I'm going to start editing the units from Ancient all the way up to WWI and see how that plays and then put it up later tonight.

Yep, the units do take a while to get from the core of a nation to the front line. The idea I had was that if the player really wanted to push a front they would have to establish a military base to support a sustained effort. IE Fort, Towers, Barrack structures.

I really like how the units move a lot slower since there's more tension between rival nations. Troops slowly build up on the frontlines yet out of range and subtle repositioning requires the other player to react or they will get flanked in case of battle.

Also when an invasion occurs the defending player has time to actually react yet still giving the edge of a "surprise" attack to the invader. The force march ability speeds things up but not so much that armies can roam from city to city as if they all had personal Airliners to ferry them here and there.

I think this mod would shine in HumanvsHuman Diplomacy games rather than taking on the Toughest AI.

That's what I miss in RoN, there's Diplomacy, but the pace of the game leaves little/no time to actually chat with your neighbors or negotiate with your enemies. With this mod you can actually chat even when a battle is occuring and expect to have a civilization left to manage.

Joseph Twu
        Lamebrain/bort

Comment

Working...
        X