Game speed and giant indecipherable mob effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game speed and giant indecipherable mob effect

While I appreciate the use of cannon time to help players deal with the increasing numbers of buildings and units as the game progresses I feel that by the time you reach Modern Age just too much is going on to play at normal speed. It's a bit of a paradox that the problem with turn based empire building games is they get too slow towards the end of the game but when you make it real time the game moves too fast once you have a lot of cities and units. The everybody runs to the center of the screen and whacks at each other in a giant indecipherable mob effect is in full swing. I realize it may be a bit late to make this kind of suggestion but an option to have the game slow down by 10% at each each age would be much appreciated by those of use that aren't twitch kiddies. We have tried hosting some slow games but people just aren't interested and if you do manage to get a game going most quit before you make it out of the classical age. Congratulations on an outstanding game though, I'm having a ball playing against the computer where I can adjust the speed as the game progresses.

I am online most evenings and always looking for someone to host games on slow, since I can't host myself (NAT Router). So look for me!! There are other people out there who like to play slow, you just have to find them.

I find that it's definitely a good idea to confirm with everyone that slow speed is ok while still in the staging room, before starting the game. Otherwise, as you say, people might not notice the speed until the game starts, and then they quit.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Playing Slow can be interesting, I agree. Not every time, all in all, I'm more or less used to speed, but playing Slow gives that ability to play more strategically.

Nonetheless, I'm having the time of my life playing against the AI, and making use of the Pause button, to avoid the huge mob effect.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'd hate to play slow through the first couple ages, though.... ever play broken's ffa/conquer in KAG, Grond? Speed changed after awhile.

I agree wholeheartedly with slowing it down in later ages, though my micro ceiling is reached a bit before modern. Maybe enlightened?

Comment

Nonetheless, I'm having the time of my life playing against the AI, and making use of the Pause button, to avoid the huge mob effect.
          Solver, I agree that using the Pause key is the most flexible way to play when playing against the AI. If you have a Microsoft style mouse with a mouse wheel, you can make the "wheel click" the Pause in the RON Options Hotkeys settings, which leaves the wheel doing zoom in and out, just reprograms the wheel click to pause and unpause the game. Makes it almost TBS whenever you feel so inclined.

But even so I really like Grond's suggestion of proportional game slowdown as the age advances roll. Perhaps BHG could make this an option, with a sort of chart in the options section with sliders for each age to select game speed for that age. That would be a cool looking option, eh BHG?

For extra coolness, add an AI difficulty slider for each age, with perhaps AI boom, rush, and defend buttons for each age? Though perhaps this would totally confuse the consistency of the AI's buildout.
          i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

I am, BTW, using a mouse with a wheel and two extra buttons. I wonder if my buttons 4 and 5 can be made do anything.

Yeah, proportional slowdown could be interesting. Because Slow games in the Classical age are, well, slow, while in Information age, standard games are pretty damn fast... you need some good RTS experience to deal with it.

Comment

I've been playing at Slow speed precisely so I can use some of the great additions in RoN...flanking, etc. While I think my on-line days are next to over (two small kids at home now), the ability to set game speed according to game era is a fantastic idea!
              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Yup, the Slow speed does give some more TBS like experience. Actually, I want to try and set up a game with Slow and Expensive research, Slow game speed and that stuff - gotta feel a lot like TBS.

Comment

For those of you talking about playing on slow and making it more TBS-like, read this thread about the ACS clan I am trying to start. Solver, wilebill, Grond - you all sound like perfect candidates to join. Yin, you would be too if you wanted to go online again.
                  Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Hmm, might be interesting. At least by the sounds of it. Now, I just need to remember some of my old RTS skills - I can't use the pause button in other RTS games or whatever .

Comment

albiedamned: Thanks for the note.
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

If it's not to hard to implement it would be nice to have a slider so you could have the game slow down somewhere between 5-15% each age.

Comment

I'll definitely join in on the slow and expnsive games. I'm still trying to learn right now. Anybody got some links for research prerequisites and combat mechanics?

Comment

Working...
                          X