RoN Unit Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RoN Unit Editor

Started coding a bit ago, and I need feedback and ideas on what absolutely has to be in this one. Below is a screenshot. The thingie works with your unitrules.xml and takes all the stuff there, and shows the unit properties in a "reasonable" way. Currently, the flag editor is missing, but I'm working on it (just began the whole thing), I need some input from BHG on that.

Also, notice the third field from top in first column (yes, I will add labels). That's the Obj_mask thingie, indicates stuff such as Mounted, Air Defense, Heavy Cavalry, Explosive, and whatever not. Do you want: to have a checkbox editor for it, sort of like it will be for flags? Or, for purpose of not messing the game up, do you want editing in that field disabled?
    Attached Files
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Boy this would sure be great if mods were easily interchangeable.

Comment

Mod exchange is very easy. I can easily write a program that would ask you "which mod to run", and then run RoN, provided that you create folders in your RoN data subfolder for all mods, and move files there. That "ModSwapper" wouldn't take more than a bit of time to code .

Comment

I would love to be able to change things like...Russia has always been known for what? Massed armies of foot soliders. I would love to edit it so when you build one, instead of three you get "six." But make them weaker, just as they are based on IRL history...weaker troops, but hordes and hordes of them.
        Veni, vidi, vici.
        [I came, I saw, I conquered].
        -- Gaius Julius Caesar

Comment

nifty!

Good work, Solver! Will we be able to create new units or edit skins with this prog? Or rename existing units?

Comment

bhg said they will be releasing a patch with more formal mod support such as a mod swapper as envisioned.
            they were asking for ideas how this swapper may work,
            easiest way of course is simple wholesale file swapping, but i was proposing a more powerful format, which would allow u to combine different mods together with prioritization. (the mod manager would not simply swap files, but find all the changes in mod configuration file, the compile them with the originals before passing it to the program as it normally would) so that people can mix mods together peicemeal to test out how different mods can work together to create a truely awesome total conversion mod. each mini-mod so to speak is much easier for an individual to accomplish rather then one big mod. so this would allow more productivilty.

Are you down with ODV?

Comment

One_Dead_Villy will they use your idea? It sounds like the best one.

Comment

i dont know hopefully they will
                Are you down with ODV?

Comment

No adding of new units is possible - that would also require to provide the skins, the animation files, and such stuff. I have way too little understanding of graphical stuff to incorporate something like that anyway.

As for renaming units... well, I guess you could, but I don't think you should. Changing the or can lead to bad consequences with the game, so you won't be able to edit those.

is apparently the correct one, but it also needs some change in typnames.xml, I'm not exactly sure which way. And I think that, unless I get help from BHG, I'm better off not touching that either.

Comment

ive tried changing the unit name (not the unit designation for the game code) and it works fine...
                    like i can change the hoplite to say "spearmen" and nothing bad happens...in fact the new name is used consistantly all through
                    Are you down with ODV?

Comment

What did you change? TYPENAME, I assume? I was just getting some weirdo stuff while running experiements with that, but it might well be just me.

Comment

no, the name field in unitrules
                        Are you down with ODV?

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                          Mod exchange is very easy. I can easily write a program that would ask you "which mod to run", and then run RoN, provided that you create folders in your RoN data subfolder for all mods, and move files there. That "ModSwapper" wouldn't take more than a bit of time to code .
                          Could you do that then? It would be a great utility!

Comment

One thing i found after reading this thread was how to change the amount of infantry, there is a line in unitrules.xml in each unit that is UBER Size that is how many individual soliders are in each unit. BUT i cant get the spacing right so if anyone wants to help me out on that one im open.

Comment

Working...
                            X