Inca Fans - Share Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inca Fans - Share Tips?

Hello! Granted I haven't played as all of the different civlizations yet, but so far Inca seems best suited to my style. If I can just find enough spots on a mountain for about twenty miners, I'm pretty much set for the rest of the game so far as gold goes -- and so long as gold is high, you can always even-out anything else.
    My general strategy is to, in the Medieval age, have at least one (preferrably two) stables on infinite-production of Heavy Cav. I back them up with foot archers (since pikemen/heavy inf. are the only good units against heavy cav), four or five siege units and a general, and, unless an opportunity presents itself (they mount a large attack, fail miserably, I know there's a city/wonder close to me), I just remain stationary, guarding my main cities (sometimes I think I don't build as many as I ought to!).
    Then, the second I hit industrial age (which comes very fast because I can buy all the scholars I need), I use my market to buy as much oil as possible, selling-off all of my wood and food until they get into the single digits, and immediately upgrade my heavy cav to tanks, upgrade my siege to artillery, my archers too (I think it's machienguns? might be regular infantry, i don't remember), and charge.
    That was the strategy I used the time I won. But the other time I tried it and lost, I was playing against Koreans who were able to send more light infantry and light cav than I could deal with. I took a "target of opportunity", their nearest city, during the enlightenment age -- and claimed it for a moment. But he flooded me with more infantry than I knew what to do with. My crossbowmen fell to his musketeers, my heavy cav wasn't numerous enough to finish the fight. Ironically, the single unit to survive the fight was my supply wagon, which actually made it back to my capital -- so attrition was not the problem.
    I assumed that heavy cav would be the Incas greatest unit because of its specific resource requirements.
    Should I try to produce different units, or should instead try to use tactics of diversion, by sending a small division to raid in some remote corner? Which would give me a better chance of winning?
    Thank you!

Re: Inca Fans - Share Tips?

Originally posted by ASSSSCAT
    Hello!
    Hi.

Granted I haven't played as all of the different civlizations yet, but so far Inca seems best suited to my style.
    i am a huge inca fan.

If I can just find enough spots on a mountain for about twenty miners, I'm pretty much set for the rest of the game so far as gold goes -- and so long as gold is high, you can always even-out anything else.
    you'll almost never find a 20-miner hill. you'll be lucky to find a 10, mostly you end up with somewhere from 3-7. the trick with Inca is to place your cities near as many mountains as you can.

One of the whopping bonuses of being Inca is you can buy all the resources you need, once you start booming in the classical age. whenever you want to advance to the next age (as long as you have the knowledge), you can buy everything else. need a wonder? poof. you have the goods.

the more you buy, the more expensive it gets. note that.

also watch out for nuclear embargoes, as they present a major problem for that strategy.

My general strategy is to, in the Medieval age, have at least one (preferrably two) stables on infinite-production of Heavy Cav. I back them up with foot archers (since pikemen/heavy inf. are the only good units against heavy cav), four or five siege units and a general, and, unless an opportunity presents itself (they mount a large attack, fail miserably, I know there's a city/wonder close to me), I just remain stationary, guarding my main cities (sometimes I think I don't build as many as I ought to!).
    the more cities the better, though defending them can becoem an issue if you build too many too spread on the border. look for defensive positioning ans use it. fill up whatever free space you have, simply for the production bonuses.

Then, the second I hit industrial age (which comes very fast because I can buy all the scholars I need), I use my market to buy as much oil as possible, selling-off all of my wood and food until they get into the single digits, and immediately upgrade my heavy cav to tanks, upgrade my siege to artillery, my archers too (I think it's machienguns? might be regular infantry, i don't remember), and charge.
    selling off your food isn't too smart, it's still fairly useful in industrial. timber is debatable, but i always prefer to have a stockpile on hand.

That was the strategy I used the time I won. But the other time I tried it and lost, I was playing against Koreans who were able to send more light infantry and light cav than I could deal with. I took a "target of opportunity", their nearest city, during the enlightenment age -- and claimed it for a moment. But he flooded me with more infantry than I knew what to do with. My crossbowmen fell to his musketeers, my heavy cav wasn't numerous enough to finish the fight. Ironically, the single unit to survive the fight was my supply wagon, which actually made it back to my capital -- so attrition was not the problem.
    I assumed that heavy cav would be the Incas greatest unit because of its specific resource requirements.
    That's a fair assessment.

Should I try to produce different units, or should instead try to use tactics of diversion, by sending a small division to raid in some remote corner? Which would give me a better chance of winning?
    vary your troops in your main army. i can't say this enough. everything has a counter, everything has a strength. build EVERYTHING and you'll have every strength, and can lay waste to whatever you coem in contact with.

Diversionary tactics are cool too early on they can really hurt, but they're hard to mount. later on they're not so disruptive, but if you can get the enemy to believe that you're attacking one area, then hit another even harder, you'll probably be in a better position.

Thank you!
    welcome.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Working...
    X