No announcement yet.

Towers and forts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note that ranged infantry like archers and slingers and to the garrason strength more than non-ranged infantry. If you put 2 or 3 archers in a tower you will see a large increase in the rate of fire.

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
      I checked. I filled up my city and my tower to capacity. No extra arrows for the city and one extra arrow, sort of, for the tower. The tower fired slightly faster. Harldly an effective defense.
      Sorry, but your wrong. Check the little box in the city/tower/fort stats window. It has a little tower with an arrow shooting out of it, and next to it it will say something like "1/3" for a tower, 0/2 for a city and 2/5 for a fort.

This is the rate of fire for that city/castle/fort. Forts have the greatest base rate of fire and the greatest max rate of fire, next is towers then cities.

Did this test yesterday, here's the resaults.

From greatest to least increase:

Archer line/gunpowder infantry > javalineers (and slingers) > Heavy infantry > Civilians.
      "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
      - UberKruX

Comment

So I'm wrong.

I already said I saw a slight increase in the rate of fire. The increase was certainly not enough for the fort or the towers to effectively defend themselves.
        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Originally posted by Hendrik
          I haven't seen the AI *not* rush into towers yet, even on tough, they don't seem to keep a distance and use siege very frequently.
          I beg to differ. On one of my most recent games, (Barbarians at the Gate - Moderate - Vs 2 ai opponents), the Romans used 8 Trebuchets against my forts & Towers, ringed by a mass of Caesar's Legions (their unique Pikemen ). I didn't even consider sending my 7th Cavalry in they would have been slaughtered. I had to 'Attack Move' my entire 8th Army forward (within firing range ) to take them all out. Lost most of my army too, but at least I destroyed their Trebuchets. They had about 5-6 Supply Wagons with them too & 5 Generals. Those Romans fight hard.
          APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Comment

Garrisoning a general in your towers,forts(city I don't
            know) also increase the attack(sword icon) and the
            range power.Correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

You can use the anchorage to heal wounded ships. I wonder if it shoots back when a ranged ship is docked. I 'm at work right now, I'll check this later.

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                The increase was certainly not enough for the fort or the towers to effectively defend themselves.
                i find the best part use of the forts (apart for extending boarders) is to force they enemy to fight a battle where u want him 2 - rather than outside one of your towns.

I for one wouldn't like to rush my army past a fully garrisoned fort and then have to fight a battle 2 take over a town (not to mention the troops from the fort would proberly attack my rear).

don't think anyones mentioned this but cavalry don't add to your garrion power, not even the ranged ones

what unit or tactic have people found best for destroying peoples seige and suppy units? at the moment i like bribeing them

Comment

I don't think you can bribe supply wagons.
                  Garrisoning units in your ally towers/forts
                  is an interesting option to use,when your
                  ally is at war with a civ which you are not.
                  The effects are the same.

Comment

Originally posted by solo
                    Garrisoning units in forts and towers (cities too) have another use. When you notice that one of your nearby units outside is being bribed by an enemy spy (little bubbles appear near it), you can sometimes keep the unit on your own team if it is garrisoned quickly enough.
                    This made me smile only because just last night I FINALLY figured out what that spy "bubbles" animation really is. It's her throwing money to bribe the unit. They aren't bubbles...they're coins. If one of your caravans dies, you see a similar animation as the caravan's money spills over the ground.

Sorry for being off topic...but that came to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by solo
                      Garrisoning units in forts and towers (cities too) have another use. When you notice that one of your nearby units outside is being bribed by an enemy spy (little bubbles appear near it), you can sometimes keep the unit on your own team if it is garrisoned quickly enough.
                      This made me smile only because just last night I FINALLY figured out what that spy "bubbles" animation really is. It's her throwing money to bribe the unit. They aren't bubbles...they're coins. If one of your caravans dies, you see a similar animation as the caravan's money spills over the ground.

Sorry for being off topic...but that came to mind...

Comment

Originally posted by Lo Rez

i find the best part use of the forts (apart for extending boarders) is to force they enemy to fight a battle where u want him 2 - rather than outside one of your towns.

I for one wouldn't like to rush my army past a fully garrisoned fort and then have to fight a battle 2 take over a town (not to mention the troops from the fort would proberly attack my rear).

don't think anyones mentioned this but cavalry don't add to your garrion power, not even the ranged ones

what unit or tactic have people found best for destroying peoples seige and suppy units? at the moment i like bribeing them
                        I fully agree.
                        "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                        —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyrocks
                          They aren't bubbles...they're coins.
                          And where does that money goes afterwards? It's not that they live long and happy with that money considering that they are mostly bribed in the middle of a once friendly army that turns agains them...

Comment

I will use units inside the fort to lure enemy defending the siege into range of the fort then garrison. These will effectively remove some hot headed Calvary and pikeman from the group.

While this is going on. My Calvary will be deployed on side the enemy, while another ranged army will be deploy in front of them to lure the remaining pike and Calvary in will enaging the main body. Calvary will then move into kill siege units and archers.
                            Works every time if your Calvary is hidden from enemy view and enemy reinforcement is not around the corner.

Comment

This topic has already really been covered in this thread, but I thought I'd supply you guys with a link to a thread explaining about anything you want to know about Forts/towers etc concerning Garrisoning

Here
                              If you can't Dazzle them with Brilliance, Baffle them with Bull****.

Comment

Has anyone else noticed that the ai puts a couple of Generals into Town/City centres when it's under attack?
                                APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Comment

Working...
                                X