Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towers and forts

Hey,

If you garrison military (or civilian) units inside towers and forts, do they fire more shots / more often? I realized I haven't been doing this...and it's just quicker to ask you guys than to test it myself

I hope so, because right now, towers and forts are kinda sucky...when it comes to helping you defend a city.

-Yoink(tm)

i also would like to know this, was searching but this is the closest i found
    http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...t=forts+towers

im guessing that they should

i'll try it out and let u know

- update -

yup towers and forts have a garrison power level (the bottom icon) which rises as u put troops in, increasing the rate of fire

light and heavy troops count for 1 point each and ranged foot count as 1.5 - not sure about mounted
    Last edited by Lo Rez; June 7, 2003, 00:26.

Comment

Putting more troops in a tower or city does NOT increase the rate of fire.
      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
      —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Huh? Sure it does.
        Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

It increases the rate of fire when you garrison units in Forts, but I'm not sure about cities and towers.

Comment

It does for Forts & Towers. I think the 'Garrison Power' of the Fort is 6 & the Tower is 3. Any additional units beyond this make no difference. Don't know about the Town Centre though.
            APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Comment

I'm certain that garrisoning units increases the rate of fire of all 3 - cities, towers, and forts. I know cities don't fire at all unless they are garrisoned (or unless you are Mayan). Cities, towers, and forts all have a power value that you can see when you select them. As you garrison units, that power rating goes up. Ranged units count more than non-ranged.

Also, garrisoned generals add to the range of the building.
              Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

Yup- they fire more arrows (not necessarily an increase in RoF, but an increase in the number of shots fired, which is virtually the same).

Comment

I guess I'm wrong, I am vastly outvoted, but I didn't see any increase when I put more people in the forts, towers or cities.

I will look again.

Here is what I saw originally: My city had one pathetic arrow in the early ages and one pathetic bullet in the later ages. This was regardless of how many were garrissoned, but like I said, I will take another look.
                  "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

But anyway, does anyone actually garrison his towers with units? It seems to me that your units are more effective out in the open.

Comment

I checked. I filled up my city and my tower to capacity. No extra arrows for the city and one extra arrow, sort of, for the tower. The tower fired slightly faster. Harldly an effective defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacht
                        But anyway, does anyone actually garrison his towers with units? It seems to me that your units are more effective out in the open.
                        After a battle I always put my 'wounded' into the nearby Fort or Tower. Get him back up to health before the next battle. Saves a lot of resources having to replace numbers on the front line. The only exception, of course, is when I'm rapidly advancing through enemy towns on my way to his Capital when I have lots of surplus resources. Or if I have the Versailles Wonder. So, my 'wounded' in the towers or forts 'attack' from within if attacked while garrisoned. They can inflict damage on the nme without taking any damage themselves.
                        APATHY ERROR: Don't bother striking any key.

Comment

Garrisoning units in forts and towers (cities too) have another use. When you notice that one of your nearby units outside is being bribed by an enemy spy (little bubbles appear near it), you can sometimes keep the unit on your own team if it is garrisoned quickly enough.

Comment

If your micro is good then towers and forts can be a real lifesaver on defense. Their attack is nice, but I mainly use them to hide damaged units. As soon as I see a front line unit taking significant damage I select it and garrison it. I haven't seen the AI *not* rush into towers yet, even on tough, they don't seem to keep a distance and use siege very frequently.

Ungarrisoning a bunch of fresh, undamaged units after your enemy's units have suffered from attrition damage is a great way to mop up enemy forces.
                            http://xohybabla.ru

Comment

solo, thanks for the advice regarding the "Tiny Bubbles." When I get occasional notices of a unit being bribed in the future, I will know what to look for.

*I would make more reference to the song, but I can't remember the lyrics.

Comment

Working...
                              X