Info Thread - RoN interface feautures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Thread - RoN interface feautures

This post goes with my credit to dearmad for the original idea, and albiedamned, Bridger, Godspawn, Viandox and all the other guys who have posted on interface feautures, sorry for not listing all of them. Good job, folks .

Now, this thread is not supposed to receive discussion posts. Just a plain list of facts on interface.

Selection tricks

In RoN, there are quite some ways to select everything you want to! Remember that dragging a box with a mouse around your military units, any villagers there will not be selected. Now, on to shorter tips:

When you have something selected, and you press the HOME key, everything of that type gets selected. Say, if you have a Musketeer selected and press HOME, every single Musketeer you have will get selected.

If you double click a unit, all units of this type currently visible on screen will be selected.

Use the . (dot) key to select an idle villager. If you quickly tap the key twice, then all idle villagers will be selected, but map focus will not switch. This is good for building wonders - take all your idle villies and appoint them. If you tap the dot key three times quickly, it will select ALL villagers that you have. Alt + . (dot) will select some citizen, working or not.

Use the , (comma) key to select an idle military unit. Double comma selects all military units that are idle (which means, not moving or fighting), while pressing comma quickly three times, selects ALL of your military force. Quite useful if you want to make sure that you are attacking with every single unit you have.

You can use letter keys to select a building. The combinations are L for Library, K for Barracks, etc. You can know which letter applies to a building by viewing the tooltip for the button that builds the building. Pressing the combination quickly two times will also zoom to the building. So, press L, and your library gets selected, now you can also do some research that you may want. Quickly press LL, and it will select the library and scroll to it. Pressing L three times selects all Libraries. Well, I fancy this could be of use with Barracks - select them all, and queue units at all of them at once.

Special unit selection: There's a number of ways to select 'special' units in game. Press ' (apostrophe) to select a scout, or Ctrl+' to select all of them. / (slash) selects a General, Ctrl+/ selects all of them. Very useful when you're fighting and want to quickly use a general's ability. Pressing the ; (semicolon) button will find a spy.
    Unit control tricks

One good thing is controlling formations with only mouse. When you click with the right button and hold it down, you can rotate your formation, as you probably know it. Now, though, if you have a wheel, scroll it to make the formation more or less wide. Useful to prevent your infantry from standing in a very, very long line. Also, left button changes formation types during this mode.

For assaulting cities, you can select your military, and then right click on an enemy building while holding down the Alt key. Then, the siege units will attack, while the rest of your army will set up defensive positions to protect the siege.

Waypoints from military buildings can be set on units, too, then newly created soldiers will follow that unit. The best way is to set military units to a General, so that they will join wherever your General (and, probably, your army) is at the moment.

You create groups in RON by pressing the buttons 1-0 and F1-F8 to create for up to 18 groups. Now, pressing the button for a group will select it, double pressing will also zoom on to it. You can select multiple groups. Press 1 to select your group 1, and shift-2 to add group 2 to the selection.

Formations:

As said above, you can use your mouse to change and edit formations. Now, there's more to it. Ctrl+Left arrow and Ctrl+Right arrow rotates the formation left or right respectively, while Ctrl+Down orders formation to step back.

You can change formation in one of the several ways using hotkeys. Pressing Alt+F will cycle through them. Alt+N gives Line formation, Alt+V Refused formation, Alt+W Envelop formation, Alt+Shift+R Right Echelon and Alt+Shift+L for Left Echelon formations.

Likewise, military stances - Shift+T changes to next stance, Shift+A gives aggresive, Shift + R Raid (preferrence to attack civilian units), Shift + Z Raze stance (preferrence to attack buildings), Shift + E sets to Defensive stance, Shift +G Stand Ground (will attack but not move), and Shift + H to Hold Fire (exactly that).

Miscellaneous tips

If you have a unit or building selected that is not currently visible, click on its picture in the information display at bottom of the screen to scroll to it.

Look at the resource information box at the top left corner. You will notice that on the very right of it, there's a little button with arrows that you can press. It expands additional info, which can be quite useful. For instance, if you see 15/18 near food, it means that you have 18 farms, and 15 are being used now. Knowledge numbers show number of scholars/possible number of scholars, wealth shows caravans/caravan limit, oil shows oil wells/oil sources. I believe that arrows on the left of resource box can show market prices, but I am not sure.

If you press F12, the data display at bottom of the screen will cycle, and different minimap modes will appear.

Alt+Shift+1-9 key combinations are very useful. They do change the statistics that the data display shows. For instance, press Alt+Shift+4 to quickly get information on your military - unit types and numbers, etc.

Market tricks:Useful and easy to remember. F, T, M and G sells 100 of Food, Timber, Metal and Oil accordingly. Shift+F, Shift+T, Shift+M, Shift+G buys 100 of Food, Timber, Metal and Oil respectively. Some other things to notice here - if you create a Caravan at the Market, you don't need to task it to anything. It will after spending a few seconds idle, automatically open a new trade route, if possible.
    Last edited by Solver; May 31, 2003, 08:06.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

You dont have to push control+letter to select a building, just press the letter. L=library, K=barracks, S, Stable etc etc

Comment

You dont have to push control+letter to select a building, just press the letter. L=library, K=barracks, S, Stable etc etc

Whee, then why the heck did I always press the Ctrl ? Will edit the first post when I get back... I want it to keep updated and good.

Comment

Pressing a building key twice will select the control panel and scroll to it. For example UU will take you to your university. UU again will go to the next university. UU once more to yet another university.

CC repeated should cycle through cities??? ... but this does not always work, or rarely works?

Why are *we* doing this? Why does not BHG publish an exhaustive description of the neat things built into the keyboard command structure and the user interface?
        i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

Re: Info Thread - RoN interface feautures

Originally posted by Solver take all your idle ****ers and appoint them.
          Why is the auto-censor kicking in here?
          If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

, FP. I might have typed ****ers there, but I never thought that it was a rude word... gotta edit, if it is.

Comment

Updated original post with HalfLotus's correction.

C does cycle, City is also a building, and it works the same way...

Comment

w ankers?
                "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Indeed. I always thought it's an absolutely acceptable word.

Comment

Solver, if you want to get old, do yourself a favour and never visit any country where English is the mother tongue...
                    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Actually Wouter, you are also a foreigner that LEARNT English - I don't know how exactly, but you did, so you can make mistakes, too .

It's just my habit to derive meaning of words from context... the context in which I saw the word in question made me sure it's rather funny and not rude.

Now you guys got me . Sometimes, I have classic quotes...

Comment

It's just my habit to derive meaning of words from context...

Heed my advise, buy a dictionary...

Comment

I have got a shelf of dictionaries about 3m from my current position. And just to assure you, that word wasn't even in.

Comment

Do you now know what the word means, Solver? I hope you didn't do a google search for it, I can imagine that the results would have been scary...
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Yeah, he does...

I told him, next time you don't know the meaning of a word, ICQ me *beforehand*

Comment

Working...
                              X