RON freez = AMD prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RON freez = AMD prob

Sometimes I´ve got freezes in RON. I must reboot my PC. After watching serveral Forums it seems to me that RON has got probs with AMD Cpu´s. Am I right or wrong?

It works fine for me... (AMD XP 2000+)

(Oh, I must add that I only have the demo, not the full game yet...)
    Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Works OK on my AMD 1800+

Comment

Two things to try before we go more in depth.
        First, Make sure you have all your windows updates.
        Second, try installing DirectX 9.0a

Please let me know the results. Thanks!

Comment

@ Locutus & dearmad
          Did you run an NT or 9x OS?
          @ jbestimt Direct X 9.0a and the latest Updates was already installed before RON.
          Yesterday I installed the LargePageminimum Patch and played three matches without probs... Later I will be play some matches more.
          I will post here today after played some matches more, if this patch solved my probs...

Comment

Works fine in my XP 2200+, like with ANY OTHER x86-32 bits software!
            "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
            Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
            Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
            Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

@ Zealot
              RON was the only game with probs on my machine...

@ jbestimt
              The LargePageminimum Patch solved my probs with RON. Today I played 7 Matches without any prob.

Comment

Sasy2k you r0x0r. Thanks for that info. I'm gonna see if this fixes things for other folks.

Comment

a 9x OS.

Comment

WinXP.

Like Zealot said, a non-Intel processor can only very, very, very rarely be the cause of problems experienced while running certain software.

Comment

@ dearmad
                      9x system are the best platform for gaming...
                      @Locutus
                      dito to Zealot´s statement about non Intel-CPu´s
                      @jbestimt
                      Thx. I hope that this will sort out the probs for the other RON gamers...
                      Btw, some gamers use a very very poor power supply...

Comment

for Sasy2k: I have the same problem !

What is the "LargePageminimum Patch "? and where i can found?

thanks for the answer

bye
                        Marco

Comment

ok i found the patch but it's only for Windows 2000.
                          I have XP Home.....

Comment

@magni72
                            Should work with XP too.
                            This is not a MS bug, it´s an AMD CPU bug...

Comment

Sasy2k,
                              Still, that doesn't mean it's an AMD problem, there could be tons of other causes for it. As was indeed proven in this case: it wasn't an AMD problem per se, but more a Win2k problem. Which is perfectly understandable, as Win2k is NOT a good gaming platform...

The OS level is also really the only level where the CPU could make a difference. Below that, the OS is designed to hide any differences in brand/type/etc of most hardware (video cards being the notable exception in PCs, at least when it comes to games) -- that's the very purpose of an OS (among other things)...

But it's good to hear you the game is working for you now

Comment

Working...
                              X