Choppy FPS Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...bump...

(...sorry...after 2 months the problem persists and I stopped playing through the whole of July because of it; now, after playing Nukezone, an online military sim and watching Band of Brothers on DVD I got an urge to play again. But the urge is dying with the persistant framerate problems...)

- PTM

Comment

Yea its your cpu the Pentium line before hyper threading is a worthless chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Zero
        Yea its your cpu the Pentium line before hyper threading is a worthless chip.
        ...yeah I was looking more along the lines of help that is worthwhile.

No game ever has caused me slowdown of this magnitude. Warcraft 3, for instance, which is just as, if not more so, graphically demanding as/than RoN, runs perfectly at all settings maxed.

- PTM

Comment

Different games demand different cpu resources.

Comment

So every game demands resources that my chip can amply provide except RoN? I don't think that is the case.

- PTM

Comment

Motherboard and AGP updates -
              1. ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-suppo...nfinst_enu.exe
              With the above update this should identify your AGP bus and Chipset with Windows 2000.

Mr. Coleman from BGH told me to do this. It was the one thing I hadn't done, and lo and behold it solved my issue! After so many months...finally I can begin to say "wow RoN really is a great game!" - words I should have been saying all along.

However, that link is specified for my computer. I'm not sure if it'll work for anyone. The main point here is, "PROBLEM SOLVED!"

- PTM

Comment

To the person who made this topic and all those who are having a similiar problem:

I am running into the same exact problem. A friend and I have very similiar computers and yet his runs the game at 80FPS from the get go.

My copy of rise of nations doesn't even display the MENUs smoothly. And when the game starts I get 12-15FPS whether the details are on low or on high. It makes no difference whatsoever. This isn't even in a battle.

So what did I do? I researched around on the internet. It seems most people just think our computers suck- but this isn't the case. In every case the person has been running some form of a GEFORCE card. I have a ti440 I think. And everyone on this forum and any other forum who has had extremely low FPS has a GeForce.

My system specs are:

AMD ATHLON 2200
                GeForce Ti440 64MB
                896MB DDR SDRAM
                Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer

as soon as the game starts- 12-15 FPS held throughout the game.

My friend rig which is in the same room:

AMD ATHLON 2200
                Radeon 8500 128MB
                512MB DDR SDRAM
                Sound blaster Audigy X-Gamer

80 FPS at startup- cooling down to a NICE 40 FPS during battles... oh and it's at 20 FPS now with 10 nukes being deployed at the same time... oh wait now its up to 80 FPS, after the nukes blew up.

As you can see- my rig should pimp his out... the only think is the Nvidia graphics card. Other than that- I have more RAM and the same processor and Sound card....

BTW- I get awesome Framerates on every other game. This game just doesn't like GeForce 4's and stuff.

Cry.

Comment

Seems like you're right sentience
                  I got an older machine (Athlon 1800) with a geforce2 mx400 (64 MB) and RoN runs pretty smoothly with most settings maxed even on that machine. It seems like it's the GeForce 4 series that presents problems
                  Adopt, Adapt and Improve

Comment

Well I was having performance issues, like 2-3fps, and thought it was a bit odd, but dismissed it as being crappy coding... but after a few dozens games I decided to look at the forums. Found this thread, found this
                    Motherboard and AGP updates -
                    1. ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-supp...infinst_enu.exe
                    With the above update this should identify your AGP bus and Chipset with Windows 2000.
                    My Motherboard is Via AMD rather than Intel, so I downloaded and applied the latest Via 4in1 drivers (which do much the same thing). worked a charm, now my FPS barely ever falls below 30.

Comment

Working...
                    X