Coal: Simple math on its huge advantage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coal: Simple math on its huge advantage

Browsing the complete resource list, I've found that the Coal rare resource is extremelly strong in this game.

Quoting, it 'Reduces all timber costs by 25%'.

In other words, it's 33% extra timber, without counting towards commerce cap! That's a VERY strong effect.

( the math: X is your current timber production and consumption. If all timber costs are reduced by 1/4, that means you'll spend 3/4*X of timber to build the same stuff and will have 1/4*X 'extra' timber left. (1/4)/(3/4) = 33%; That means you'll have 33% extra timber to spend )

Obvious comments:
    1) Control it at all costs, duh . Even at the late ages you can sell that extra timber for metal/oil. (thus converting your boost into other resources)

2) I think BHG should change this. Maybe put it to 10% - like sugar (reduces food costs by 10%)

3) Spice is also *very* strong. It increases caravan income by 20%. Supposing caravan is the main source of wealth income, that's a great effect, but it counts towards commerce cap. I wouldn't change spice, cause it looks good as it is now.

Regards,
    brainman

If I'm not miskaten, coal is one of the ones that is not visible until later in the game. Unfortunately, I've barely paid attention to the ones that show up later on, since I'm usually far too busy with wars by then. So I guess this just proves it pays to take a few seconds to look for new rare resources once in a while.
    Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

By then, I'm usually in a pretty good position regarding wood.

Comment

Re: Coal: Simple math on its huge advantage

Originally posted by brainman
        Even at the late ages you can sell that extra timber for metal/oil. (thus converting your boost into other resources)
        Yes, but the exchange rates will kill ya. Supply & demand are in full effect in resource exchanges!
        _/\ C
        Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crud.

Comment

Nubians

Comment

i prefer Inca for that. sure, supply and demand screw you, but if you dont have 10,000+ gold yiou're playing them wrong
            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Inca generate a lot more gold than anyone else. But I can't agree with the statement "if you don't have 10,000+ gold you're playing them wrong". In fact I would say exactly the opposite - if you have that much gold, as the Inca or anyone else, then you are playing wrong. If you have 10,000+ gold, you should be spending it on other resources to build up your military and research. The gold does you no good if you let it pile up. Unless of course you are already dominating and about to win. . .
              Firaxis - please make an updated version of Colonization! That game was the best, even if it was a little un-PC.

Comment

I think that of any of the late game race resources Uranium is up there, if not the best. I cant be sure but I think it gives you +30 oil, which is awesome because I seem to always be waiting on oil production for units and research late in game despite having all oil wells built possible and refineries where i can. Alos it give like +30 knowledge I think which is also cool but not nessesarily needed, but it helps, it might give one more effect but i cant remember what it is. Point being Uranium is awesome!
                "We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction."
                -Gen. Douglas MacArthur
                ~HAIL CAESAR!~

Comment

Uraniam increases research/build speed of nukes by 10% and decreases their cost by 5%.

I don't think that coal is that overpowered, considering you don't get it till later game anyway, when timber isn't really that important.

Compare that to the mayan bonus of 33% less wood for buildings from the *start* of the game, and you can see it's not that much more powerful.
                  "I just nuked some poor bastard still in the Enlightenment age. that radioactive mushroom cloud sure enlightened his ass."
                  - UberKruX

Comment

Working...
                  X