Another European Map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another European Map

Not to steal thunder from Snoopy, but after working on this all day I had to release it... This is a beta map so I will be looking for feedback on how to improve it. The terrain isn't as accurate as I want it due to the limits fo the editor. However, I did find a neat little trick to get the southern areas of the map to look more like desert. At any rate, here it is...

5/31/2003 NOTICE! NEW UPDATE AVAILABLE IN THIS THREAD: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=87858
    Last edited by Mange; May 31, 2003, 19:44.

I've played up until the industrial age of your scenario.

It's a lot of fun.

I put my first 3 cities in England/Scotland (London, Brighton, and Edinburgh, approximately), the fourth in Belfast, and then colonized Scandanavia, first Sweden then Norway. The French had the nerve to build the Terra Cotta Army in Normandy, and our first military conqeusts figures to have its eye on acquiring that little piece of real estate.

I'm in the lead, the Germans are in second, followed I think by the Turks and Egyptians. The Russians are in last place.

As far as notes on the scenario, I feel there are too many ocean resources. Of course they were a great help playing England, especially the whales which were a major source of metal income before colonizing Scandanavia, but there's WAY more fishing than you could ever build boats for, and perhaps more importantly I think there's too much oil. (Almost as soon as I hit the industrial age I was able to max out my oil production with all those sea oil wells plus oil in Scandanavia, Ireland, etc.

I haven't played far into the industrial age but as of yet the AI hasn't made a serious bid to disrupt my ability to fish, whale and drill for oil in the ocean. France and I had a nasty naval campaign that raged for years in the English channel, but I defeated them finally. The Germans have been battling me in the seas off Scandanavia but show little awareness that there's oil at stake out in the North Atlantic. If the AI won't challenge the British ability to drill for oil in the seas it might be a little too easy to win.

If you reduced the amount of oil, focussing on leaving mostly that which is more easily challenged navally by the continental powers, that might make it more interesting trying to get that oil.

Finally I'd like to try a version that has diplomacy, instead of everyone being at war all the time. I think the constant state of war actually helps England tremendously, because the other players are beating the crap out of each other while I sit back and build up my economy and navy. (Arguably this is historically accurate, but it doesn't make the most interesting gameplay).

Anyway nice work, I've had a lot of fun playing your scenario.

Comment

just tried it...took over france, then germany and almost had russia..but egypt was on its way to wonder victory when it managed to bomb out one of my wonders while i was busy...and my troops was too far away so i had to ICBM their wonder but i had nuke twice before so i triggered the argamgeddon..doh

and yes this scenario would be super if diplomacy was allowed.
      Are you down with ODV?

Comment

finished it a couple of days ago

i played as brits and changed rules to diplomacy. turks always tried to get me to ally but i refused (prob mistake cause they could have kept continent busy w/ war). all peaceful until gunpowder age. usually at war w/ 3 nations throughout whole game (couldv'e negotiated or bought peace really cheap if wanted).

as soon as those commie ruskies got nukes, they sent them my way (should have went to war early as requested and suggested by the turks). anyway, after taking 3 or so hits, i lost my temper and gave him the same answer. in short, armageddon.
        sdaf

Comment

I just finished my game (free for all rules) that I mentioned above.

By the time I invaded France Germany had fallen into 3rd place simply due to my heavy naval bombardment in the Scandanavian sea.

The Turks were in second.

I rolled over France pretty quickly, and took southern Germany while I was at it, but at the same time the Turks grabbed substantial territory in Eastern Europe.

Once France and Germany were eliminated that left the following standings, in order of strength:

1) Brits
          2) Turks
          3) Egyptians
          4) Spanish
          5) Russians

About this point the Turks started lobbing nukes in every direction. They hit me at least 3 times, most importantly destroying the Coloussus in London. They absolutely hammered the poor Egyptians with nukes. It seemed like every 5 minutes they dropped another one on Thebes just about of spite.

I managed to get up a missile shield and started desperately trying to conquer enough Turkish cities to get a Wonder victory. (They had a +6 lead in Wonders, with everything either built or destroyed by nukes).

I dropped my only nuke on a heavy Turkish counterattack coming out of Italy into southern France.

With the Armaggedean counter down to 1 due to repeated Turkish crimes against humanity I managed to take their Supercollider, giving me +10 in the Wonder race. With the Supercollider providing instant) tech research I researched the advanced tech that makes all wonder victories instantaneous (instantly) and won the game before the Turks could get off another missile.

It was an ugly end to Europe, the whole of the landscape a charred nuclear wasteland, but Brittania reigned supreme.

Comment

i played again

this time as the russians. set to diplomacy, 24 wonders, 90% territory victories. added rome in italy. worked great!

egypt wanted to be my ally but i refused. had a weak economy but strong military. as soon as germany attacked late in the game, i pounced on berlin and could have taken it but instead allied w/ to take out the french who were leading the game. i also had to kick rome's butt in the southwest where they were trying to expand thru turkey.

i built missle shield early so never got nuked yet french were nuking everybody. i never built a nuke.

i eventually went back to war against germany and took them out quickly. the french put up some resistance but after 3 air bombing groups and 3 army groups, i was able to march right thru to paris. i was careful in bombing so not to take out the wonders and won by wonder victory.

i really did not want to do this (that's why i set the highest wonder vicotry points) so next time i'm turning wonder off.

still a fun game and map. think i'll try french next.
            sdaf

Comment

Working...
            X