Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colour Blind Help

I hope some BHG employee will see this.

I am colour blind and I have a problem with some of the player colours in RON. I am often unable quickly to tell from both the map and mini map which nations the cities I am looking at are belonging to. It is a problem with the two blue colours (I know, one is purple) and the two green colours (yes, one is yellow, I know) and of course the dreaded two white colours (I guess one of them isn't white). I am able to distinguish the colours if they are right besides each other and I look very closely and consentrate, but that doesn't help much when I am in the middel of a battle.
    This is actually one of the worst cases of bad colour mixing I have seen since Alpha Centauri (the gaian - morgan thing). I am hoping that BHG will make some kind of colour blind help patch like Firaxis did with AC and Civ3. For now I'll just have to play it as it is and I will, it's a great game.

What about the friend/foe color toggle in the graphics options?

Comment

One of our programmers is color blind and might have additional thoughts beyond those he's already given. We'll see if there's something we can do for you.

Apologies,
      J
      Jason Coleman
      Lead Programmer
      Big Huge Games

Comment

Thanks
        That was a fast answer

The friend/foe option isn't really enough, I would like to know the difference between my individual enemies too.

Comment

I'm colour blind too. I'm used to it being a problem in multi enemy RTS's.

The only thing that is missing is the ability to choose the colour of my opponents in a SP quick battle.

Also I cant see red borders through the fog of war, but that cant be helped! lol

Comment

Yea I agree, I have a hard time at times too (I am Colorblind).

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, is the borders on certain tilesets. Not just white on snow, but sometimes the borders on temperate and jungle ones are impossible for me to see.

Comment

Hi guys.

I'm the color blind programmer mentioned above.

I just popped in alternate team color support.After the next patch, you'll be able to enable it through a switch in rise2.ini. The game will then get its team color settings from alternatecolors.xml. I have red-green issues, so I set up the file to change green to gray. If you have other colors that are problematic, you can change any team color to anything you'd like.

After the patch, color blind folk of the world can swap around files if someone comes up with the ideal set.

I hope this helps you out.

Ike

Comment

Thank you very much.

This is good and very fast support I must say

Comment

Just found this tread while searching for something else.

I had no idea that you could change the colours, this is marvelous since this is a big problem for me!

Has anyone made a new "alternatecolours.xml"?
                  I have a problem especially with Blue-Purple and Green-Red.

I opened the .xml file myself, but there's a LOT to change, and i have no idea what is what! (Since the
                  colours are in HEX-format).
                  I'll wait a day or two and see if i get any replies to this, otherwise i'll have to dig deeper into the .xml file.

Thomas.

Comment

There is a good converter here.
                    cIV list: cheats
                    Now watch this drive!

Comment

Or if you're a masochist.
                      cIV list: cheats
                      Now watch this drive!

Comment

I started checking all the colours in the "alternatecolours.xlm.
                        I decided to put it in html and upload so maybe someone else can have some use of it.

It's a list with the RGB colours from the .xlm file and the actual colour so you can see for yourself if you'll
                        have any problems with it.

Thomas.

PS. If anyone wants to link to the site (from any RON site out there) please feel free to do so.
                        Or just copy the actual site as a picture and put it on your site, or whatever you want...

Comment

Working...
                        X