Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BHG - please advice on rise2.ini

BHG,

Just for the heck of it (and also to see the difference), I've been poking around with the rise2.ini file, especially now that some good comments about it have came up. However, I got annoyed of editing the file by hand, so I quickly coded a small program with an actual UI to do the tweaks for that stuff. Problem is, I'm puzzled as to some of the lines, can Paul or Jason or someone else clarify them?

VSync line = doesn't seem to affect the refresh rate, or is it just me? And why is it set to 0 by default?

ClickDragTiming=5
    ClickDragLowSensitive=20
    ClickDragHighSensitive=64
    ClickDragRightSensitive=6

1. I wonder what the last of them stands for, and 2. what are the maximal values for it?

Console Coord Mode=0
    Console Name Mode=2
    UseVTUNEDLL=0

No clue on these at all...

StartConsole=0
    RenderMinimap=1
    UseNetworkSimulator=0
    EnableGraphicsToggles=0

I have been unable to understand if these buggers are at all doing something...

Thanks in advance for anyone bothering to explain the file to me!
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

I'm going to put together a guide for all of these but it may be a little while. I've got a few other things ahead of it in the queue...

Comment

Basically, the theory for click drag stuff is that folks who click, drag, and release very quickly should move the mouse further before something registers as a drag. This is because they're likely to have the mouse in near-constant motion even when trying to register a click.

ClickDragTiming: This tells how many milliseconds to wait before going into a lower sensitivity mode for drag boxes (vs clicks).

ClickDragLowSensitive: How far the mouse must move from the original "down" position before being considered a drag rather than a click. (If the time during drag is greater than ClickDragTiming)

ClickDragHighSensitive=How far the mouse must move from the original "down" position before being considered a drag rather than a click. (If the time during drag is less than ClickDragTiming)

ClickDragRightSensitive: Same as others. But, for right clicks, we don't change the sensitivity based on timing so we only need one.

Console Coord Mode: 0 for All, 1 for WCoord (a big tile), 2 for TCoord (4 per WCoord), 3 for Coord (192 per TCoord)

Console Name Mode: When describing a player in the debug (console) win, use (0) All, (1) player name, (2) player color, (3) player index.

UseVTUNEDLL: For performance tuning using Vtune. This one is probably useless to you.

StartConsole: Start the game with the alt-f1 console up (not available in MP).

RenderMinimap: Setting this to 0 will turn off the rendering of the small "world" minimap.

UseNetworkSimulator: This tells dplay to use drivers that interface with a directplay network simulator for simulating various network conditions (latency, packet loss, etc).

EnableGraphicsToggles: Turning this on (1) will enable a bunch of options in the "Graphics" options pane for turning off and on discrete sets of graphics.

Hope this helps,
      J
      Jason Coleman
      Lead Programmer
      Big Huge Games

Comment

Thanks Jason, a very good and helpful response .

Comment

this clickdrag-stuff influences also the minimap scrolling?
          it sometimes happens that when i quickly change from the minimap to the map, i am on the end of the map (or a lil far away from where my minimap-zoom actually was) cuz i didnt "unpress" the mouse button decently/fast enough lol... obviously the "reaction-time" of the minimap is programmed some ms too long or has this sth to do with the clickdrag settings?

Comment

Wow, I must say, BHG is really making quite an impression on me.

They constantly monitor all the forums, and quickly give detailed answers to all questions, even about intricate or unimportant game mechanisms.

This is where in most games, the support teams ignore such questions, and leave users guessing in the dark.

BHG.

Even though I already have a version of RoN (I haven't seen it in stores in Israel yet), I will most defintly go out and buy this game. The first game equal my money spent on, in years.

Comment

Well, not the first game worth my money in years here, but definitely one that is worth.

Comment

What is an alt-f1 console?
                i · b · a = 3 · i · e ^ μ

Comment

Extra Multiplayer Setting?

I'm going to wrap two problems into this one thread, for I believe that this place may be the one in which the answer is found:

I'm experiencing the classic "No hosting behind a NAT firewall" problem that has been thoroughly hashed out elsewhere on this forum. I'll pre-empt a few suggestions by saying that I have mapped the two (visible) port numbers in the game's "General" tab to the appropriate computer, and "uPnP" (Universal Plug-n-Play) doesn't appear to be an option for my SonicWALL router.

My question is this: is there currently (or could there be) a flag in rise2.ini that allows me to specify the external IP address of my firewall? Gamespy appears to be robust enough to detect that my external IP address is different from the internal one, but when I try to move to the game lobby, Rise of Nations believes my IP address to be a 192.168.xxx.xxx value, and no one can connect.

I know that this request isn't necessarily the most automated, user-friendly solution available, but I also believe that most people who are willing to tinker with a firewall configuration are also savvy enough to modify a text file.

Very respectfully,
                  Gamedecay

Comment

Gamedecay,

The general problem of private vs. public IP addresses should be handled much better in patch 2.

J
                    Jason Coleman
                    Lead Programmer
                    Big Huge Games

Comment

Gamedecay,

The general problem of private vs. public IP addresses should be handled much better in patch 2.

J

Yay! Jason, can you please check my unit flags thread ?

Comment

Working...
                      X